View Single Post
Old July 24th, 2015, 03:38 AM   #18
Roger Allott
Veteran Member

Thanked 155,878 Times in 8,000 Posts
Roger Allott 750000+Roger Allott 750000+Roger Allott 750000+Roger Allott 750000+Roger Allott 750000+Roger Allott 750000+Roger Allott 750000+Roger Allott 750000+Roger Allott 750000+Roger Allott 750000+Roger Allott 750000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Name-Hunter View Post
There is some anecdotal evidence that Peter died in the late nineties or early 2000's and his photographs were sold to the highest bidder[s]. Notably to Viv Thomas who released numerous sets in the 4000 setnumber range while he was recuperating from throat cancer.
I can't see Peter as having died earlier than 2004, judging by the models he shot. Of those in the VT catalogue that I've determined are by Peter, Peaches seems to be one of the most recent in terms of career start date, and that I think was 2003. Evelyn Lory may have started even later, with nothing seen of her until 2004 from what I can tell.

My guess, and I stress that it's pure speculation, is that if he died it was probably in 2005 or 2006, and Viv bought his back catalogue from his estate's executors when he realised he was going to be incapacitated for a period due to his cancer treatment.

I think there are 69 sets in the VT archives that were shot by Peter. I've presented one picture from each below to help visualise his style and preferences.

Most of them look underexposed, but that has nothing to do with the photographer and everything to do with the bozo who did the scanning at VT.

Indeed, a strong theme from these pictures is how superb an eye for colour Peter had. You can see that in practically every set he'd taken trouble to coordinate the colours of the model's lingerie with the room artefacts (or vice versa).

Other themes:
  • They're all solo. No lez or hardcore.
  • They're all indoors in a controlled studio environment.
  • None of them features effie's semi-circular window, suggesting that he possibly used a different studio from the mid-90s to the one he had used in the 80s.
  • In sets where the model is positioned close to a wall, one can often see shadows from his flash guns. That's something I've never seen from Viv and suggests a weakness in terms of using fill-in lighting.
  • Many (perhaps most) of his shoots are set in a bedroom environment. The bed probably stays the same but he interchanges the head & foot to colour coordinate. There are numerous colour alternatives to these bed accessories, suggesting he had a season ticket at IKEA.

NB: IB rejected 5 images, so they're on IV.