View Single Post
Old February 3rd, 2013, 02:10 AM   #29
effCup
Vintage Idiot

Thanked 356,679 Times in 21,624 Posts
effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+

Sorry, I should have been clearer before: I don't think there's any moiré in the original scan, only the mag's halftone "screen" pattern/speckle--hope I'm using the technical terms here in the right, or at least a non-confusing, manner? The above moiré seems to be a creation of IrfanView when it is used to batch-convert the 300ppi tif to jpg. The obvious solution: use Photoshop instead to convert, but it seems peculiar that this step in IV creates a moiré.

Re. the scanner: Epson Stylus CX5900 printer-&-scanner. It has both "descreen" and "unsharp mask" filters--the latter I leave on "medium" having found no noticeable improvement on "high"... but perhaps I didn't experiment enough? The descreen filter has a "screen ruling" setting which I've left on "magazine (133 lpi)". I tried it once on "fine prints (175 lpi)" but no noticeable improvement... and I suspect nor should it have.

There are also settings for histogram adjustment, tone correction, image adjustment, and colour palette, but I leave it on auto exposure. Such tweaks seem very complex & beyond my limited knowledge/ability. I'd rather not spend "hours" tweaking such widgets for each scan, and I don't know what would be an appropriate "base"/normal set of settings to apply uniformly, so leave it on auto.

Colour/tone issues previously encountered seem more due to the scanner mechanism--i.e. different sides/edges of the scanner bed/plate/mechanism. I would not have thought those were correctable with these settings, but that may just be my ignorance?

My scans are (now) virtually all done with the lid removed & a matt brown piece of paper which is reasonably thick/robust (a former paper bag from a wine shop, as it happens) plus 2 books side-by-side to provide full "coverage" of the plate, & sometimes a third book if suitable/necessary--the aim is to ensure flattening near the mag. spine rather than simply more weight per se. The ghosting happens despite that, with some (thin) mag. paper types, although usually it would be worse without the brown paper.

I also have a similarly matt brown piece of cardboard to use instead of the paper, such as for some mags. that have had their spines "de-stapled", but it cannot be used with other mags. because of bending/creases near the (e.g. glued) spine, caused by the card's thickness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haVEFun here View Post
The initial scanning is the the most likely place to gain performance, measures afterwards probably will help just only a little i am afraid.
I think you're right. I shall try experimenting further with the settings/options, but there is no way to slow the scanner as such... well, perhaps other than upping from 300ppi, which--not wanting to start an argument--again I suspect won't achieve much in terms of quality, just "bigger" files. I did try it, but remain sceptical as to its value.

Thanks for your further, well-considered & useful suggestions.
effCup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to effCup For This Useful Post: