View Single Post
Old June 28th, 2015, 06:13 AM   #61
Immy
Maestro

Thanked 83,658 Times in 4,342 Posts
Immy 350000+Immy 350000+Immy 350000+Immy 350000+Immy 350000+Immy 350000+Immy 350000+Immy 350000+Immy 350000+Immy 350000+Immy 350000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by effCup View Post
Recently there's been some problems regarding members starting model threads with seemingly little basis for the name/id chosen. This is actually not just a recent problem--there are other such model threads started up to several years ago that have simply been left as is.

Obviously that is outside MIR and so one might think it not our concern, but I think it is still our concern in a way, both in terms of having a good MIR section (i.e. useful solves) and a good vef. I could not find specific guidelines about starting model threads in the general vef rules. There are comments e.g. in model sections rules about checking via search before starting model threads but although very important that's not quite the same thing. Is this something we should consider adding as a guide both to members and to section mods?

Maybe I'm just dreaming/hoping but I believe mods finding new model threads with e.g. just a first name title and no evidence that greater efforts have been made to find a better id should consider whether such threads should be moved to MIR to be "sorted out", rather than just left where found?
I'm also not sure what the vetting process is for new model threads when there's little info regarding a full name. What seems clear, at least with the recent examples I've used as possible solves, is that the section mods appear to have no problem with it.

What it then boils down to is, if it's good enough for one section, should it be good for this one? I think a few things should be taken into consideration - quantity, source material and the poster's rep. A new model post with one pic from someone with a limited posting history ought to be scrutinized more than something new from beutelwolf who does his homework very thoroughly. Plus, there are plenty of experts there who can spot dupes.

Now, does this mean a person with little posting experience is more likely to be inaccurate? That's hard to say. In the case of wdwyman, his threads have all had a consistant theme of Brit gals from the 80s, leading me to believe his credibility may be more legit, despite the insufficient names. Yeah I felt ikky linking to them, but I also couldn't ignore them.

And in the end, is it good enough for MIR? I think it's difficult to put a black or white rule in place when each example has its own variables. Leaving it open for discussion is best, and at the very least, a mystery gets more content. Win-win.
Immy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Immy For This Useful Post: