View Single Post
Old January 3rd, 2016, 05:31 AM   #18
sobaka

sobaka 2500+sobaka 2500+sobaka 2500+sobaka 2500+sobaka 2500+sobaka 2500+sobaka 2500+sobaka 2500+sobaka 2500+sobaka 2500+sobaka 2500+

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel View Post
Reverting to AmateurEmale's side question on Health Canada, I have read that Mrs Palin's family used to go to neighbouring Yukon in Canada and benefit from the Canadian health system rather than pay for treatment in free-enterprise Alaska. But people often tell lies and half-truthes, and it would surprise me if Canada is not wise to American healthcare tourism and doesn't have mechanisms to stop US citizens from poncing on the Canadian tax payer. More likely than not, the Palin family had to pay for their care in Canada and went there for legitimate and practical reasons, e.g. physical road and rail and sea communications being so poor in Alaska that you have to go to the easiest hospital to reach regardless of which country it is located in.

But I am curious to know exactly what Canada does in order to protect herself from US citizens wanting free healthcare to which they are not entitled?
US citizens wouldn't have a Canadian Health Card, so if they got any treatment they would have been hit for full, not government reimbursed costs, which any US insurer would not cover. If they did so it may have been for expediency, but event then Alaska has a much greater population than Yukon.

Last edited by Estreeter; January 3rd, 2016 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: Removed initial comment
sobaka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sobaka For This Useful Post: