View Single Post
Old April 20th, 2018, 02:59 AM   #4648
Grey Wolf
Rat Catcher

Thanked 481,938 Times in 19,976 Posts
Grey Wolf 1000000+Grey Wolf 1000000+Grey Wolf 1000000+Grey Wolf 1000000+Grey Wolf 1000000+Grey Wolf 1000000+Grey Wolf 1000000+Grey Wolf 1000000+Grey Wolf 1000000+Grey Wolf 1000000+Grey Wolf 1000000+
Lightbulb Staff Sergeant R Lee Ermey (Ret)

1944-2018

You'd be surprised how many kids and young people come to the website and send me email that they are actually going into the Marine Corps because of something that I said or did.

I hate to hear 'Less is more.' It's a crock of crap.

I'm never, like I say, I'm never happy, I'm never satisfied, it's never good enough.

That's all I cared about too, was getting it right.

Playing the good guy is tough because you know as well as I do, in real life, you have to watch your P's and Q's and conduct yourself in a respectable manner if you expect to have friends.

I don't have to be concerned about everybody else's character.

Even though I disagree with many of the changes, when I see the privates graduate at the end of the day, when they walk off that drill field at the end of the ceremony, they are still fine privates; outstanding, well motivated privates.

When you try to find funding for a VVA function, it doesn't seem like it's any trouble at all. People come out of the woodwork with their money to help out because we went over and fought a war.

I play well with everybody.

Back in those days intimidation was the greatest tool the drill instructor had. Without that tool, he would not have had control.

In order to be a good actor, I'm a firm believer that you need to bring something to the table.

There's a lot of whiners in every crowd.

Every character I've ever played, I always try to take him right to the edge and not allow him to fall over, but directors have a tendency to pull me back a little bit.

Kubrick ate it up. He loved it. He just let me go crazy.

For me, it's an honor for the military to ask me to go to Iraq, Afghanistan, or GITMO. I'm happy to go.

The bad news motivated the drill instructors that much more.

I honestly do feel that I am a role model for young people.

I don't have any respect at all for the scum-bags who went to Canada to avoid the draft or to avoid doing their fair share.

I was stationed at a Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego from 1965 to 1967.

Drill instructors worked seven days a week, fifteen to seventeen hours a day in many cases, with no time off in between platoons.

Back in the old Corp, we weren't training those privates to infiltrate into the peacetime Marine Corp. We were training those privates to go to Vietnam.

I try to get over to Iraq and Afghanistan as much as I can.

We had times in '66 and '67 when we would pick up a platoon of privates out of the receiving barracks the week before we even graduated the platoon that we were on!

Communications are better now than in my Vietnam days.
Grey Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Grey Wolf For This Useful Post: