Thread: Useful Programs
View Single Post
Old February 8th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #30
Just Me

Thanked 1,042 Times in 23 Posts
Just Me 5000+Just Me 5000+Just Me 5000+Just Me 5000+Just Me 5000+Just Me 5000+Just Me 5000+Just Me 5000+Just Me 5000+Just Me 5000+Just Me 5000+
Cool Some entertaining Open Source games for Windows

* At its lowest level, Scorched 3D is just an artillery game with two+ tanks taking turns to destroy opponents in an arena. Choose the angle, direction and power of each shot, launch your weapon, and try to blow up other tanks.
But Scorched 3D can be a lot more complex than that, if you want it to be. You can earn money from successful battles and use it to invest in additional weapons and accessories. You can play with up to twenty four other players at a time, mixing computer players with humans. There's a variety of changing environmental conditions and terrains to be dealt with. (Windows, Linux, Mac OS X)

* C-evo is a freeware empire building game for Windows. With a time scope of several thousand years, it covers aspects of exploration and expansion, industry and agriculture, warfare and diplomacy, science and administration. C-evo follows the spirit of popular turn-based strategy games from the mid 90s, but with more emphasis on powerful AI and careful design of the rules, resulting in a true challenge. The game is based on Microprose's famous Sid Meier's Civilization.

* Another good Civilization-like is FreeCiv.

* The Battle for Wesnoth is a turn-based strategy game with a fantasy theme.

- Build up a formidable fighting force, starting from a single leader and a small amount of gold.
- Over 200 unit types in six major factions, all with distinctive abilities, weapons and spells.
- Experienced units gain powerful new abilities as they advance.
- Several multi-player options available, including internet play.
- Scores of different custom-designed maps, and unlimited random maps.
- Hundreds of campaign scenarios available for download via a simple in-game procedure.
- 'Fog of war' feature available for a true test of generalship.
- Sophisticated mark-up language lets advanced users make their own maps, factions or campaigns.
- Excellent language support – 35 different languages currently available.
- GNU/Linux, Windows, MacOSX, BeOS, Solaris, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, AmigaOS4, OS/2 & eComStation compatible.

* Enigma is a puzzle game inspired by Oxyd on the Atari ST and Rock'n'Roll on the Amiga. The object of the game is to find uncover pairs of identically colored Oxyd stones. Simple? Yes. Easy? Certainly not! Hidden traps, vast mazes, laser beams, and, most of all, countless hairy puzzles usually block your direct way to the Oxyd stones.

- Non violent - a game for young and old.
- More than 1000 different levels guarantee longtime entertainment.
- Translated to many languages: English, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Dutch, Swedish, Finnish, Russian, Hungarian.
- High-resolution 2D graphics.
- Realistic physics simulation.
- More than 500 different game objects.
- Available for all Windows versions, Mac OSX, most Linux distributions, many other Unix versions.

* GNU Backgammon is for playing and analysing backgammon positions, games and matches. It's based on a neural network. In the past twelve months it has made enormous progress. It currently plays at about the level of a championship flight tournament player. (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux)

* Trackballs is a marble game inspired by the 80s Atari classic Marble Madness. By steering a marble ball through a labyrinth filled with sharp objecs, pools of acid, and other obstacles the player collects points. When the destination is reached you continue on to the next, more difficult level. - unless the time runs out. (Windows, Linux)

* Daimonin is a free online role playing game (MMORPG). In the game you will meet many other people in our big, persistent virtual heroic fantasy world! Explore, fight, meet friends and enemies. Over 160 000 registered Members. (Windows, Linux)

Last edited by Just Me; February 8th, 2008 at 02:19 PM..
Just Me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Just Me For This Useful Post: