View Single Post
Old November 18th, 2009, 02:41 PM   #10
Oudezijds

Thanked 6,471 Times in 57 Posts
Oudezijds 25000+Oudezijds 25000+Oudezijds 25000+Oudezijds 25000+Oudezijds 25000+Oudezijds 25000+Oudezijds 25000+Oudezijds 25000+Oudezijds 25000+Oudezijds 25000+Oudezijds 25000+
Default Scanning Advice

Dear Glass Eye,
You can do what you wish - of course, but here is what I wish.

If you are using an HP scanner, you have limited "magazine" scan options. But for sure, all I have ever seen have a "descreen function. Use it to remove some of the moire' from the dots in the original magazine color separations which is conflicting with the line scanner, on the scanner.

If you have a sharpen mode, after descreening, sharpen the image at the highest level. This is an edge enhancement technique and does little to the original image.

When you go and save the image, there is usual a drop down box in the "save as" window offering you jpeg, tif, gif, bmp etc. Select .jpg at that time. The less "processing" and transcoding you do, the less "damage" done to the original image. If there is no such option, some older ones allow you to do it in the set up mode, settings mode, or even in the standard drop downs (file, edit, view, favorites, tools, HELP).

Scan the image at the highest resolution you can afford to and still make the 3mb requirement that most services require. Usually 200-250 dpi.

After that, please leave it alone. Don't "correct" the color, balance the contrast, or anything else. Reasons? If your reference monitor isn't calibrated, your well intentioned corrections might look foul on our monitors. Also, if I wish to "correct" things myself I will have an unaltered image with the maximum allowable amount of the original data to work with. Truthfully, if an image I download is yellowish or bluish, I would likely leave it alone that way because that's the way it is. If you collected stamps and you had two vintage stamps and one was grey and dingy would you wash it in "new" Tide with brighteners. No, you would consider it "patina" and you wouldn't risk damaging what was there.

That's actually where my head is at. Leave the data alone. Transcode it minimally or not at all and send as high a density pic as you can within the boundaries of your image library service. I'd say I am on the page with Elias for the most part, except that I think balancing descreen with edge enhancement does yield results and eliminate most moire'.

Thank you and welcome to our community - de Vlieg
Oudezijds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Oudezijds For This Useful Post: