View Single Post
Old August 17th, 2011, 08:53 PM   #694
VintageKell
Vintage Member

Thanked 97,001 Times in 2,804 Posts
VintageKell 350000+VintageKell 350000+VintageKell 350000+VintageKell 350000+VintageKell 350000+VintageKell 350000+VintageKell 350000+VintageKell 350000+VintageKell 350000+VintageKell 350000+VintageKell 350000+
Default Beauty Queen & Actress: Zsa Zsa Gabor

Zsa Zsa Gabor (Born as Sári Gábor) is a Hungarian-born American stage, film and television actress .... she first started on the Hungarian stage in 1932, and was crowned Miss Hungary in 1936 (so the usual route, then). In 1936 she sang the soubrette role in the operetta, 'Der singende Traum' ("The Singing Dream") in Vienna before she emigrated to the United States in 1941 and became a sought-after actress because of her 'European' accent.

Her first movie role was as supporting actress in 'Lovely to Look At', and she was in over 60 movies, but she rarely was the lead role, mainly acting in supporting (a notable exception was 'Moulin Rouge' in 1952), and she also embraced the medium of television. She was a popular guest on talk shows and panel games in the US and UK for many years, especially the 1950's through to the end of the 1960's.

She is perhaps better known for her antics off screen, starting with her nine husbands, including hotel magnate Conrad Hilton and actor George Sanders (this amount of marriages may make her champion, or joint champion in the maritally addicted gals of this thread ... I have lost track). She once stated, "Men have always liked me and I have always liked men. But I like a mannish man, a man who knows how to talk to and treat a woman—not just a man with muscles"

For the record, the marriages are as follows:
  1. Burhan Asaf Belge (1937–1941) (divorced)
  2. Conrad Hilton (April 10, 1942–1947) (divorced)
  3. George Sanders (April 2, 1949 – April 2, 1954) (divorced)
  4. Herbert Hutner (November 5, 1962 – March 3, 1966) (divorced)
  5. Joshua S. Cosden, Jr. (March 9, 1966 – October 18, 1967) (divorced)
  6. Jack Ryan (January 21, 1975 – August 24, 1976) (divorced)
  7. Michael O'Hara (August 27, 1976–1983) (divorced)
  8. Felipe de Alba (April 13, 1983 – April 14, 1983) (annulled)
  9. Frédéric Prinz von Anhalt (August 14, 1986 – present)
She has also had her moments, that were maybe not so praiseworthy.

While Gabor was still married to Conrad Hilton, she once admitted to having sexual relations with her stepson Nicky Hilton, the future husband of Elizabeth Taylor and according to her 1991 autobiography 'One Lifetime Is Not Enough', her pregnancy resulted from rape by then-husband Conrad Hilton.

In 2005, Gabor accused her daughter of larceny and fraud (forging her signature to get a $2 million loan on her mother's Bel Air house), and filed a lawsuit against her in a California court. However, the court threw out the case due to Gabor's refusal to appear in court or to sign an affidavit that she indeed was a co-plaintiff on the original lawsuit filed by her husband, Frédéric Prinz von Anhalt.

Finally she had the clash with the law .... In June 1989, in Beverly Hills, California a police officer stopped her for a traffic violation. She was driving with a suspended license and registration. A flask of liquor was found in her car and Gabor was alleged to have slapped the face of the police officer. She was convicted and sentenced to do community work at a women's shelter. Never one to miss an opportunity, she later poked fun at the event in various film and TV cameo appearances, most notably in the 1991 comedy 'The Naked Gun 2˝: The Smell of Fear', where she swats the police siren at the end of the opening credits shouting, "This happens every f*cking time I go shopping!!" The incident was was also parodied in the 1993 movie, "The Beverly Hillbillies".

Gabor also had a long-running feud with German-born actress Elke Sommer that began in 1984 when both appeared on 'Circus of the Stars' and escalated into a multi-million dollar libel suit by 1993 .... Sommer was awarded $3.3 million in damages from Gabor and her husband, Frederick von Anhalt, for their defamation of her in interviews published in a pair of German publications in 1990.

Her recent years have been plagued with serious health issues, and allegations of financial losses (these losses have not been proved).

Quote:

"I am a marvelous housekeeper: Every time I leave a man I keep his house."

Trivia:
  • Director John Huston, described her as a "creditable" actress.
  • Television host Merv Griffin, in his autobiography, described the Gabors, "All these years later, it's hard to describe the phenomenon of the three glamorous Gabor girls and their ubiquitous mother. They burst onto the society pages and into the gossip columns so suddenly, and with such force, it was as if they'd been dropped out of the sky."
  • She was the only Gabor sister to ever become pregnant.
Pictures:

She has a full thread here, but I tried to avoid dupes, or at least provide better versions, but apologies to any original posters. Any follow ups to her thread please

Last edited by VintageKell; August 23rd, 2011 at 11:35 PM.. Reason: Tidy up
VintageKell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to VintageKell For This Useful Post: