View Single Post
Old April 21st, 2017, 10:17 AM   #2618
Arturo2nd
Veteran Member

Location: Oakland, California, United States. I have a beautful view of the BART tracks and I-980
Thanked 151,470 Times in 8,946 Posts
Arturo2nd 750000+Arturo2nd 750000+Arturo2nd 750000+Arturo2nd 750000+Arturo2nd 750000+Arturo2nd 750000+Arturo2nd 750000+Arturo2nd 750000+Arturo2nd 750000+Arturo2nd 750000+Arturo2nd 750000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Gittes View Post
Feel free to simply go back to the above topics at hand, but I felt it necessary to go on a little rant about CA state politics.

It looks as if California is on the verge of becoming the next Detroit with the latest rounds of insanity by both the legislature and voters.

So far the voters have approved plastic bag bans, high-speed rail fiasco projects, and made it possible for criminals to get out of prison early via Props. 47 and 57.

We have a massive pension problem, and high taxes and regulations to boot which is driving people out of the state.

And now the state senate has given the green light for more gas taxes when we already have some of the highest gas taxes in the nation.

There's a lot to love about CA; but with people dying and leaving, damns breaking apart, I am at a loss for an explanation of why there isn't as much outrage from the public about this as there is demonstrated by other activist groups.

I guess it's time for my daily beach walk!
Yeah, we've got some serious issues here in California. Jerry Brown has reigned in the legislature and kept the state in the black, even with the high speed rail program. God help us when he's gone in 2 years.

We are between a rock and a hard place with rail projects. They are needed as it is not possible to expands roads enough for the growing population to drive everywhere. They do not cost less by being postponed. They are fraught with environmental impact delays, right-of-way and eminent domain fights, and are rife with opportunities for cost overruns and hands in cookie jars.

As for letting criminals out early, 1) California is under a federal mandate to reduce overcrowding in prisons, 2) mandatory sentencing guidelines placed many non-violent offenders in prisons, 3) it is very expensive to keep people incarcerated (something like $40,000 per head), and 4) the vast majority of the folks being released will do everything in their power to avoid returning to prison. Mistakes will be made, of course. But we are headed towards a return to programs that reduced recidivism and away from draconian and inflexible policies that have made the prison guards union such a powerful political force.

Pension reform is a pressing issue. I don't care what the judges say. A lot of people are going to be very disappointed when their greedy expectations for retirement income are not met. I could go on a real rant here, but will hold my peace for now.

Gas taxes are high, but it won't get cheaper to repair roads, bridges, and overpasses. Plus, raising gas prices will help reduce air pollution. I am tired of repairing my car because the roads are filled with pot holes.

IMO, the biggest problem in California is that special interests have lured the voters into making bad laws in the initiative process. Term limits have increased corruption, because the crooks are out to grab theirs in the limited window of opportunity. We have also found that inexperienced pols are easy pickings for lobbyists.

The legacy of Ronald Reagan is the notion that government services can be provided without paying the taxes necessary to fund them. It's a fantasy, of course, but one that California voters have embraced for too long. It is also a political reality that indirect taxes are the only way to keep the public paying the needed amounts.

California is blessed in having the most dynamic and creative businesses in the country. It produces 13.5% of U.S. GDP. If it were a country, it would rank 6th in the world. Think about it. California by itself has a larger GDP than either France or India. No wonder people sneak in here. Who knows how long we can keep it up if we let our university systems decline.
Arturo2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Arturo2nd For This Useful Post: