View Single Post
Old April 22nd, 2017, 09:38 PM   #2620
SanteeFats
Super Moderator

Thanked 813,876 Times in 60,874 Posts
SanteeFats 2500000+SanteeFats 2500000+SanteeFats 2500000+SanteeFats 2500000+SanteeFats 2500000+SanteeFats 2500000+SanteeFats 2500000+SanteeFats 2500000+SanteeFats 2500000+SanteeFats 2500000+SanteeFats 2500000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsepia View Post
Just a thought: any system of governance always has serious issues. There's a strange default idea that somehow something as massive as pensions and healthcare finance would be "Ok, that's fine, we can forget about them now" . . . they're issues that are rarely crises, but always need attention.

All in all, California is pretty impressive.

I share with you concern about the University system-- this is a jewel, but its struggling under the budget cuts and the enrollments. Really deserves attention; but that's a "price of success" more than a "price of failure".

I live in Cally. The problem is IMO that all the unions fight any kind of a reasonable solution to the overwhelmingly increasing financial obligations to the pension plans. It is , again IMO, cut others and leave this one alone. The teachers and the Cal workers are the worst from what I have seen. No one wants to take anything less than everything they can get. Here there is such a thing as prevailing wages for government contracts. My neighbor is a steel worker and loves them. Why he makes around $20 or so on a normal job but a government prevailing wage job- sit down for this- he gets $63 an hour. The unions fight this also. Basically fuck California and the plebeian idiots.
As to the Uni sistem there is only so much that can be done within reason yet the students want it all for free, that ship not only sailed but sunk. IMO it is a case of gimme, gimme, gimme.
My son even moved to Ky to go to school and now is taking an MBA course at UNC. On his own dime I might add.
SanteeFats is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SanteeFats For This Useful Post: