View Single Post
Old March 5th, 2017, 12:56 AM   #1
AmateurEmale
Vintage Member

Thanked 15,794 Times in 1,755 Posts
AmateurEmale 50000+AmateurEmale 50000+AmateurEmale 50000+AmateurEmale 50000+AmateurEmale 50000+AmateurEmale 50000+AmateurEmale 50000+AmateurEmale 50000+AmateurEmale 50000+AmateurEmale 50000+AmateurEmale 50000+
Default Do you think RPGs are for dweebs?

I would like to start a new thread about RPGs, specifically fantasy RPGs. This might include the '70s and '80s games like [A]D&D, but also '90s and 2000s-era games like Final Fantasy and Diablo.

Does anyone here think they are for dweebs, or possibly devil worshippers? Or will some of us admit to playing them once upon a time, but not now?

The only RPG I even own anymore is RPG Maker, which is supposedly capable of making games like Final Fantasy, but I have mostly toyed around with its graphics a little; I don't think I have any epic ambitions of making a game, and the engine is basically teen-oriented. I simply happen to have grown up with Final Fantasy for 8-bit Nintendo, which was c00l back around 1990. [Kinda like Xers who still are amused by Star Wars...] And the only tabletop game I've played in the last 10 years is BattleTech, because I know people who work at a factory who make miniatures for those games.

I've simply matured to the point where I don't crave video games, or as a certain novelist once convinced me, "Fantasy is only appropriate to project an ideal reality that is achievable in this world." It may be great for the principled young Jedi to win, or the handsome First Prince to marry the trophy blonde wife, but it is only a metaphor for what I should be accomplishing in real life.

At the same time, we have to realize that what made Star Wars successful (as well as Macross, BattleTech, etc.) is that they are essentially fantasy stories but in a science fiction setting featuring high technology like Veritechs and light sabers. RPG Maker and such engines promise to let a designer do this too.

So does anyone think I am evil or deviant for liking such things?
AmateurEmale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to AmateurEmale For This Useful Post: