View Single Post
Old February 6th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #219
Pnin

Thanked 1,590 Times in 75 Posts
Pnin 5000+Pnin 5000+Pnin 5000+Pnin 5000+Pnin 5000+Pnin 5000+Pnin 5000+Pnin 5000+Pnin 5000+Pnin 5000+Pnin 5000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph View Post
A general thanks to everyone who posted in this thread. I was a big PH fan back in the day and it was nice to talk a walk down memory lane, so to say.

One thing I can't help but notice, and I'm wondering if anyone has anything to add, but after browsing through these pages I'm a bit shocked to see how few women of color PH used. I mean even Playboy has had a pretty good run with asian, black, and especially latina models. But for some reason these pictorals are all pretty much white females. And I guess it goes without saying that PH never did any IR pictorals with a black male? At least I've never seen one. Any thoughts on this? I thought Guccione was more liberal than that.
I'm reminded of an old "Chic" subscription ad. They showed three guys, one repped PB, another Hustler, and the third PH. The PH guy looked like a chav in after-six wear with a stick up his ass. The tagline was "Wouldn't you rather be a Chic Man?"

I guess my point is that PH was trying to project an international and cosmopolitan image. Consequently there were fewer American black and hispanic women (though there were a few "latinas" if you allow South Americans and Europeans). Back in the day there was more room for minorities as the girl next door, imagewise.