View Single Post
Old September 5th, 2016, 10:02 AM   #58
effCup
Vintage Idiot

Thanked 357,041 Times in 21,638 Posts
effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+

I started this post here.

This is also perhaps an example of what many of these queries achieve: they're simply forgotten. Yes, sometimes someone finds some more info. & they're sitting there ready to link up but that's equally the case for [solved] XNK or [solved] Margerita @C17, and the last presents the option of higher visibility in the form of starting a model thread. /shrug/

Are we saying that queries here should only be marked solved provided the name so discovered will never again need modification as a thread title? I doubt it/hope not.

& please don't only read that last rhetorical question strictly literally. Although rhetorical it's also asking a question of you all: to think about the implications/ramifications; to think about the ways in which we think of/envisage mir queries, their processes, etc.

----

edit: late appendix, added here just so it doesn't get lost:

Quote:
Originally Posted by effCup View Post
If we wait a bit longer something else might come along & then we'd either:

a) have another instance of JR
b) have two different two-part contenders to tie-break
c) have another unsatisfactory singleton
d) rinse & repeat

This seems like another example of what I've tried to write about here & here... & probably elsewhere. It may seem otherwise but this is not meant as "having another go" at any of the current/past section mods. My discussion of this topic has always tried to focus only upon processes/thinking/how MIR operates.

To repeat: the alternative here is to accept a two-part mag. name, start a model thread, & hope that raised profile may prompt further discoveries. In that scenario we must remain open to the possibility that we don't always get it "perfect" first/every time so that thread may require a later renaming, should evidence for such turn up.

That is an iterative & incremental approach rather than the "big bang"/master-plan-up-front approach (software dev. & construction metaphors), which treats errors as/makes them prohibitively expensive.

Last edited by effCup; September 20th, 2016 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: appendix
effCup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to effCup For This Useful Post: