View Single Post
Old May 4th, 2014, 02:07 PM   #22
zorin
Vintage Member

Thanked 68,446 Times in 1,177 Posts
zorin 350000+zorin 350000+zorin 350000+zorin 350000+zorin 350000+zorin 350000+zorin 350000+zorin 350000+zorin 350000+zorin 350000+zorin 350000+
Default one more thought on colour banding

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageKell View Post
And on another tack .... there are web links on the subject of banding ... some deal with gradient banding (including colours).

One here

Another one here

And especially Here

Finally: This last website link seems to have cracked it ..... I won't try to explain as its illustrated.

Some food for thought ....
The abovementioned websites deal with several different forms of colour banding that can occur, but I don't think beutelwolf's problem image is the result of inadequate colour representation.
Nor do I think the scan problem the last website describes is the cause because it deals with a straight band whereas the colour banding in beutelwolf's image are circular.

Instead I believe the problem is caused by a phenomenon known as Newton's rings which can occur when light is reflected between a spherical surface (your scanner's lens assembly) and an adjacent flat surface (the glass plate on which your image lies).
If you take a look at the wikipedia article on Newton's rings here the second image on the page looks a lot like the pattern which is visible in the red and blue channel of the image.

Still looking for a decent way to get rid of it more quickly though.
zorin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zorin For This Useful Post: