View Single Post
Old July 12th, 2018, 11:48 PM   #28
CARLTON BROWN
Grand Vizier

Thanked 35,657 Times in 3,216 Posts
CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+

A few further observations on Win 10.

Since I originally posted a few comments on this thread, I have suffered the momentary screen blackout problem following a substantial MS update. In their infinite wisdom MS updated drivers and I was suddenly having problems. Fortunately, the machine is a new Dell PC and the support I got from the company was excellent. Apparently MS are trying to fix this blackout issue at the moment, although it only affects some computers. If you have the same problem, you need to have driver updates disabled after it's sorted.

In more general terms, there really is no major problem using Windows 10 and you can turn off stuff you don't like. However, loading it onto an older PC may be a bit troublesome.

Windows 7, which I also use has no major advantages over it and is not entirely free from catastrophic problems or weaknesses. A couple of weeks ago, I saw a Windows 7 32 bit machine crippled by a major system failure with a start-up problem that could not be resolved. Much of the data on the hard drive was lost and the system was unfixable, needing a full re-installation.

There is some very dangerous stuff on the Internet that can cripple your machine. Windows 10 seems to be generally accepted as safer from attack than Windows 7 and as the hardware continues to evolve and Windows 10 becomes dominant, suitable software will become more of an issue and equipment like older printers may not be usable.

Although Windows 7 has worked well for me and I'm using 64 bit at the moment on my older PC, a time is coming when I will move on from it. As for software as old as XP, I'd now be reluctant to use it with an Internet connection and would find the perfomance rather unsatisfactory.
CARLTON BROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to CARLTON BROWN For This Useful Post: