View Single Post
Old June 26th, 2016, 07:07 AM   #1026
emexem

Thanked 7,270 Times in 289 Posts
emexem 25000+emexem 25000+emexem 25000+emexem 25000+emexem 25000+emexem 25000+emexem 25000+emexem 25000+emexem 25000+emexem 25000+emexem 25000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel View Post
Okoto probably knows more about legal principles than I do, but I did have to study contract law a little bit as part of my professional training. As I remember it:
Offer + Acceptance = Contract.

If the contract is accepted it becomes binding on both parties. You dont get to walk away because you changed your mind afterwards; though you can re-negotiate if the other party is willing to compromise, or you can merely break the contract, in which case there are penalties.

The rest of the UK has neither broken nor varied any clause in its contract with Scotland. We share a common identity and must all stick together. That is the contract. It seems to be the SNP which wants Scotland to break the contract with us. I do not know if the rest of the UK has a legal power to refuse Scotland a fresh independence referendum but if we do have such a power then it is up to the SNP to explain why we should not invoke a power of refusal. We will, of course, listen to whatever they have to say to us.

Sorry M'learned Scoundrels' and Otokos'

A contract can be considered void if it restricts trade- clearly this does.
A contract can also be voidable (different from void)- why dont I just shut up and avoid ( different in law ) - aaaaaaaaaaargh a quick boot in the nads from a mod for boring everyone!
emexem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to emexem For This Useful Post: