View Single Post
Old January 11th, 2017, 07:42 PM   #334
IronMan

Thanked 3,209 Times in 432 Posts
IronMan 10000+IronMan 10000+IronMan 10000+IronMan 10000+IronMan 10000+IronMan 10000+IronMan 10000+IronMan 10000+IronMan 10000+IronMan 10000+IronMan 10000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian249x View Post
I do hope to discuss the ideological flaws of the post Renaissance European world view that has us treating the natural world as something to master and exploit in the 'VEF Philosophy' thread very soon. Slavery and the practice of treating other human beings as objects of exploitation predates capitalism by many thousands of years. In fact, it is Christian ethics and Western liberal thought that has condemned the practice of slavery and is actively seeking to eradicate it. Like I said earlier, Western Civilization has been very much a mixed bag.

I will concede that Hitler, Stalin, and Mao Zedong raised mass murder and depravity to unprecedented levels. Mao was not a white man, of course, but he studied our methods. What I am trying to say here is that there is an element of truth in bigtrain45's post.

But I do shudder to think of what the Romans, Mongols, and Ottomans would have done if they had our technology. Do you think Kim Jong Un is a reincarnation of Caligula?
You might also add that America hasn't been a capitalist country for nearly a century. Corporatism/Crony Capitalism isn't Freemarket capitalism.

Competition has been practically wiped out due to government meddling. This is what allows companies like Wal-Mart to flourish.

Daydreaming keeps the misanthropy away.

Love the country, hate the government. Love the planet, hate the people.
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to IronMan For This Useful Post: