View Single Post
Old May 16th, 2018, 09:24 AM   #5223
rupertramjet
R.I.P.

Thanked 54,117 Times in 4,288 Posts
rupertramjet 250000+rupertramjet 250000+rupertramjet 250000+rupertramjet 250000+rupertramjet 250000+rupertramjet 250000+rupertramjet 250000+rupertramjet 250000+rupertramjet 250000+rupertramjet 250000+rupertramjet 250000+
Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by crinolynne View Post
I don't have a reference in mind, but I believe Boudicca's revolt was only successful to the time the Romans got themselves organized.

Now, the myth I'd like to explore is that the Romans lost the battle of Mons Graupius...
Not according to Tacitus, he quotes a huge Roman victory, with Caledonian Confederacy loses at 10000, and Roman at only 350. Although this account has been critcised Agricola, the Roman Governor was his father in law, there is no other major account available.

The Caledonian leader Calgagus is barely mentioned in the account and the claim is that the entire battle was carried out by the auxiliary cohorts, four Batavian and two Tungrian with the Legions being held in reserve, the Caledonians were on a hill in horseshoe formation, with the front rank on the flat and rising rank by rank up the slope in tiers, the Romans would have made a direct frontal attack, using the shield wall, a grinding advance, depending on the immense discipline of the infantry, and pushed back the front rank and then on to the next and so on. The claim is that the Caledonian forces broke and took cover in the woods, and were then hunted down.

There is much debate as to the actual site of the battle, many feel that it could well have been at Kempstone or Megray Hill close to the Roman Fort at Raedykes, the area matches the descriptions although others argue it could have been in at least thirty other locations!

The most interesting aspect is that the British tribes and their leaders, famously carried out a war in which they refused to meet the Romans in a pitched battle, the Romans had nullified the Chariot, the number one tactic of the tribes, and their armour and shields were no match for the Roman infantry, it is a surprise therefore that the battle ever took place.

Sorry crinolynne, could not help with the myth!
rupertramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to rupertramjet For This Useful Post: