View Single Post
Old June 9th, 2015, 04:09 PM   #4
Darth Incubus

Darth Incubus 1000+Darth Incubus 1000+Darth Incubus 1000+Darth Incubus 1000+Darth Incubus 1000+Darth Incubus 1000+Darth Incubus 1000+Darth Incubus 1000+Darth Incubus 1000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMan4ever View Post
One of the things that drives me nuts the most is people who don't "thank" the posts they're responding to. The simple act of "thanking" a post simply shows you're participating, which goes a long way.
In defense of newbies, which I'm no longer exactly one of, the "thanks" button here doesn't really mean just "thanks" in the classical sense.

It also means "I agree" and/or "thumbs up," "cool," or even just "attaboy." Those aren't the same socially as thanking. I'd never actually say "thanks" to someone over simple agreement.

Here the "thanks" button is a one size fits all positive reinforcement. Once you realize that, it all makes sense. It works well too. The pity is that it can't be made more obvious to the outsider (or maybe it can, but I'll be damned if I can think of how).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMan4ever View Post
The other funny thing I've noticed is that for a community that is quite literally an old boys network I think this place is pretty receptive to the "newbies."
That is definitely true. Someone will always point you in the right direction if you get off on the wrong foot.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Darth Incubus For This Useful Post: