Thread: Windows 10?
View Single Post
Old July 23rd, 2015, 06:46 AM   #110
Rick Danger
Vintage Member

Thanked 31,321 Times in 1,714 Posts
Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+
Default 10 (minus 5) Reasons to Upgrade to Windows 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by a435843
Check out this PC Magazine article, but skip the article, and just watch the poster get owned in the comments.
I did read the article and the comments. The article reminded me why I stopped subscribing to PC Magazine years ago. If I want marketing hype, I can read all of it for free from the product manufacturer's ads. Just like I skip Fox or MSNBC and go to CNN for objective news.

Here's my response to the article and the bloggers...........

Quote:
Rick Danger • 3 minutes ago

Does this pass for objective reporting ?

Ten Reasons ??? How 'bout five ? Let's subtract the following:

1. Speed - Being a Windows 8.1 user, I'd be more interested in a start up comparison between Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. And even then it's still comparing apples to oranges (no pun intended), since I'd expect a brand new OS right out of the box to be faster than an OS that has been routinely updated. If in two years from now an updated copy of Windows 10 is still faster than a two year old copy of Windows 8.1, THEN you have a valid comparison.

5. Touch - Wasn't this the issue that nearly sunk Windows 8 ? Not every home user or small business is laying out premium money to buy touch screen PCs or to replace working devices for the sake of touch. How much of the current install base or monthly sales are touch screen machines ?

7. A Better Browser - Duhuhh..... after reading security reviews disclosing the fact that Internet Explorer had fundamental security flaws built in I stopped using it over five years ago. I am using a better browser...... it's called FireFox.

8. Security - The Passport app only works in environments using Azure Active Directory. Are these security apps in Windows 10 Home or in Enterprise ?

10. Xbox App - I don't own an Xbox and I am not planning to anytime in the future. Including this into the list makes absolutely no sense.

I read all the comments. As usual, we have the pro-Microsoft crowd, many of whom were probably extolling the virtues of Windows Vista a while back. Here's a hint children: Not everyone who doesn't agree with your vision of computer utopia is an idiot. And you probably aren't as smart as you think you are. And of course we have the anti-Microsoft "everything after DOS is a Microsoft conspiracy" crowd. Microsoft is a business, plain and simple. They are not your friends, nor can they or will they build products that answer every arcane use that the public can dream up (why can't I use my left over 8" diskettes ????). Yes, for some Windows is a very good product that satisfies their needs. But it can't be all things to all people. If you're running Windows 7, 8, or 8.1, no one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to go with Windows 10. You still have support and time to consider your options. If you're running Windows XP, especially if you insist on remaining connected to the Internet, you are playing Russian Roulette with five loaded chambers.

I'll be sitting on Windows 8.1 for at least another year, simply because I don't have the time or money to upgrade multiple machines, replace applications, and potentially hardware. Even if everything that I use today will work 100% under Windows 10, my time also has an economic value. Consider your next step with cold, hard logic - not hoorahs from one side or howls from the other.
I'm going to take a rest from this thread until July 30th....... hopefully the Windows 10 rollout won't freeze the Internet a la the movie "The Day After Tomorrow"......................

Last edited by Rick Danger; July 23rd, 2015 at 07:06 AM..
Rick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Rick Danger For This Useful Post: