View Single Post
Old January 12th, 2017, 09:10 PM   #346
diamelsx
Vintage Member

Thanked 29,499 Times in 2,673 Posts
diamelsx 100000+diamelsx 100000+diamelsx 100000+diamelsx 100000+diamelsx 100000+diamelsx 100000+diamelsx 100000+diamelsx 100000+diamelsx 100000+diamelsx 100000+diamelsx 100000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadence View Post
According to the Associated Press, a 57-year-old convicted killer serving a life sentence in California became the first U.S. inmate to receive state-funded sex-reassignment surgery, the prisoner's attorneys confirmed last week.

California prison officials agreed to pay for the surgery for Shiloh Heavenly Quine, who was convicted 36 years ago of first-degree murder, kidnapping and robbery for ransom and has no possibility of parole.

Quine's case led the state to become the first to set standards that will allow other transgender inmates to apply to receive state-funded sex-reassignment surgery.

Lawyers for the convict successfully convinced the courts that the surgery falls under the Eighth Amendment of the US Constitution which requires that prisons provide inmates with medically necessary treatment for medical and mental health conditions.

There you have it folks: a California court ruled that gender reassignment surgery is medically necessary.

The daughter of Quine's victim said she objects to inmates getting taxpayer-funded surgery that is not readily available to non-criminals, regardless of the cost. "My dad begged for his life," said Farida Baig, who tried unsuccessfully to block Quine's surgery through the courts. "It just made me dizzy and sick. I'm helping pay for his surgery; I live in California. It's kind of like a slap in the face."

I'd have to agree with the victim's daughter.

But the convict here is apparently the REAL victim... Quine told a prison psychologist who recommended her for the operation that it would bring a "drastic, internal completeness." She expects it will end a dysfunction and depression so deep that she tried to cut and hang herself in prison five times, most recently in 2014 when she was initially told she could not have the operation. After the recovering from the operation, Quine will be moved to a women's prison.

Right. The no-chance-of-parole convict gets "internal completeness", the victim's family gets dick, and the taxpayers get to foot the $100,000 bill for this bullshit.
This is another case of a Financial Correct decision being confused for a Politically Correct one. The state wants to avoid going to court over a wrongful death suit his family could win if she ever was sucessful in any of her atempts. Johnny Taylor once famously sang how it was "cheaper to keep her" I guess nowadays it is cheaper to make her. BTW you know we are being PC by referring to her as "her"...