View Single Post
Old December 29th, 2017, 11:21 PM   #10588
CARLTON BROWN
Grand Vizier

Thanked 35,662 Times in 3,216 Posts
CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+

Life 2017

My best friend watched this movie a couple of months ago and told me it was crap and not worth bothering with. However, we often have different opinions on things like this and I wanted to give it a fair chance. The plot is not especially complicated. A probe returns a Martian soil sample to the International Space Station, where it's examined in a secure laboratory unit. Some dormant cells in the sample come alive and a rather nasty alien organism starts to grow in size. Okay, the plot is somewhat predictable and a bit of a cross between Alien and maybe John Carpenter's excellent remake of the Thing.

But some of the science and basic common sense practiced by supposedly professional astronauts - who are all scientists is decidedly a bit slap-dash, with the scriptwriters clearly more interested in keeping the plot going. Anyway this nasty organism gets loose within the space station and starts killing off the crew. All this and the way the film ends up will be a credibility test, if you're as picky as I am.

However, the special effects are first rate. The acting is not bad and the sets look very realistic at times. In this respect, it's almost comparable with Gravity or Interstellar.

And the thing is that I really enjoyed the film despite all the faults and it's clearly open to a follow-on. Certainly a good bit better than total garbage like Pacific Rim or some of the recent comic strip efforts where anything goes. So for me it's a 6/10 and well worth a watch.

Dunkirk 2017

I've been looking forward to this for some months. Sorry to say that although there are some very good, realistic war scenes, I now realise that I didn't like it at all.

For me, the soundtrack was astonishingly annoying and might as well have been Stockhausen. It droned on and on. No women in this film, not much of Dunkirk, a real shortage of British Tommys on the beach, not many Germans and a load of Spitfire heroics that became a bit silly.

Dunkirk is not a patch on war films like the Longest Day, Bridge at Remagen or dare I say something silly like Where Eagles Dare and lacks any kind of real spark. I'm afraid that 3-4/10 is the best I can manage.
CARLTON BROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to CARLTON BROWN For This Useful Post: