View Single Post
Old March 9th, 2016, 06:27 AM   #97
scoundrel
Super Moderator

Thanked 278,408 Times in 26,182 Posts
scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper II View Post
I'm an American and have no vested interest in this one way or another. But I believe this European Union is ultimately a bad idea. Nations risk losing their national identity and their citizens will eventually become only subjects to some small group of politicians bent on European domination (sound familiar?). And we've already seen how the countries with poor economies are a millstone around the neck of the more productive. This whole thing should be looked upon as a failed experiment. Get out while you can.
It is a flawed institution, but so is the Union in the USA; yet collectively the states of the Union are a powerful force. The EU is also a powerful force. The question is far from clear to me concerning whether member states will lose their national identity, which certainly has not happened so far; but is that what's in store for us?

Economically, the EU has done a lot to improve some national economies, Ireland being a good example, despite her present difficulties. Compare Ireland now with Ireland in the days of de Valera and it is easy to see how much economic progress she has made. But some member states, Greece notably, are held back by the incompetence and brazen corrruption of their governments, which would still happen if they weren't in the EU.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
scoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to scoundrel For This Useful Post: