View Single Post
Old July 9th, 2018, 12:27 PM   #19
SoIGotTheGroov

SoIGotTheGroov 2500+SoIGotTheGroov 2500+SoIGotTheGroov 2500+SoIGotTheGroov 2500+SoIGotTheGroov 2500+SoIGotTheGroov 2500+SoIGotTheGroov 2500+SoIGotTheGroov 2500+SoIGotTheGroov 2500+SoIGotTheGroov 2500+SoIGotTheGroov 2500+

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttsie View Post
A wiseman once said always keep your old OS / hardware intact when the new OS is on you

Better yet get some old refurbished / 2nd hand el cheapo PC to trial the new OS on

THis is, in an alternate way, what I'm going to do. I've been struggling with W10 too, came back to 7 as it was easy for my needs: I'm a pro musician/producer using old daws and plugins, Cubase 5.1 for instance in 32bits. It works fine so far under 7 64bits, but then with 10 it's been... a pain in the ass. Had to re-instal everything again.

As the actual pc is dying (guess it's the PSU, but it can also be the MB), what I'm going to do is to get a refurb pc with a more recent configuration loaded with 10, but not too much recent either ! and swap the OS hdd.

The key is to find the right CPU in the refurb pc to keep XP or 7 still working. In my case I've choosen a 2011 HP Elite 8200 with a quad core i5 2400 with 16g ram. I've got a Vista 32bits that won't work on it though, but who cares about vista 32b nowadays !! the better option for you would be to get a family premium W7 on another disk, disable internet access on it, and keep W10 for other tasks involving an internet access. Anything that works in your XP will actually work just fine with 7 64bits premium family edition. I insist on Family premium, cos' it's the cheaper one with max ram capabilities.

My actual machine is a very old (well to me!) Acer X1700 loaded with Intel Duo Core e2200 and 4g ram, I guess I'll experience a huge difference ! I've been able to mix and master 2 albums with that old machine this year, but I guess the long hours spent on it... killed it.
SoIGotTheGroov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SoIGotTheGroov For This Useful Post: