View Single Post
Old August 5th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #61
djetz

djetz 100+djetz 100+djetz 100+djetz 100+djetz 100+djetz 100+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufflover View Post
Not quite accurate (otherwise the post is excellent). The trend can be spotted to 1915 quite closely. (The 1920s flappers all had shaved pits.) Before that time, women's dresses always concealed the armpits. Fashion began to change abruptly with WWI (skirts got shorter, too), and once the pits were exposed women began to shave them. It was made feasible by the safety razor, which had come onto the market big time about a decade before. Razor advertising certainly helped the trend once it started.

Bush trimming/shaving was given a big impetus by the coming of bathing suits with ever-narrower crotches - though it's hard there to figure which was chicken and which was egg.

BTW the above applies mainly to USA, Britain, and the British dominions. Continental women generally shaved neither pits nor legs until after WWII.
I think you're right about the dates. My mistake - now you mention it I'm certain it was around the WW1 era... I'm pretty sure it was a Vogue magazine pictorial on swimsuits that was the first to show models with shaved pits, and that started the trend.
djetz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to djetz For This Useful Post: