View Single Post
Old September 15th, 2014, 01:58 PM   #16
electile disfunction
Vintage Member

Location: Somewhere flat, that's either hot, cold, or windy ... Canada?
Thanked 21,351 Times in 1,903 Posts
electile disfunction 100000+electile disfunction 100000+electile disfunction 100000+electile disfunction 100000+electile disfunction 100000+electile disfunction 100000+electile disfunction 100000+electile disfunction 100000+electile disfunction 100000+electile disfunction 100000+electile disfunction 100000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsey View Post
Just want to thank the people who suggested software. I have checked some out. Using dupe detector reduces about 10% of the task. They all still have a quality control problem in not being able to zoom in to compare the quality of two similar images. While they do help in the detection and locating many dupes I still have to use the method described earlier to directly compare the images for quality. I can't just assume a small image size is no good. A larger version may be just a resampled re-jpeg enlargement of the smaller image. I've found that many times. Likewise a larger file size is not assumed to be better. I've found large file size images that were merely due to re-jpeg of a previous jpeg or the result of heavy flaws like moire patterns and excessive sharpening. I've even foung images that were poor quality but the same image dimensions, name and file size as another better quality that I assume to be an original. As if someone posted degraded images intentionaly trying to mislead a sort leaving one with a poor quality image. Not images I got here but elsewhere.

If anyone knows of a comparison software that allows for zoom in that would help a lot.
Have you tried two (or more) dedicated, small, but excellent pieces of software used together, or do you want only a single program with compromises in seach and graphic quality for some reason?

Anti-Dupl is a stand-alone program but relies on whatever default viewing software you use for closer inspection. Example: When needed, I just double-click on the preview in AntiDupl and the full pic with all graphic data instantly opens in Irfanview (which you can close by pressing the [Esc] key just once!). This combination of A-D & Irfanview is extremely fast and powerful for finding the quality problems you outlined above. (99%+ of all the image files I download are poor, degraded, misleading images and I need to delete about 200 to 4000 of them every day!)

The programmer of A-D states outright that A-D is only for comparing thousands of images (even across many directories and and drives) and then listing possible duplicates for you to consider. Adding a redundant viewer software would take his time and effort away from creating good and fast comparison software.

Do you need something more?

e.d.

P.S.: I regularly search and compare graphic images individually as large as 140 MB, and neither A-D nor Irfanview has ever had problems with them.
electile disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to electile disfunction For This Useful Post: