View Single Post
Old August 12th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #26
scoundrel
Super Moderator

Thanked 278,449 Times in 26,182 Posts
scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+
Default Churchill, Clement Attlee and the empty taxi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxedout View Post
I don't think that's quite right - that exchange is usually quoted as being between Churchill & Liverpool MP Bessie Braddock, although I have seen it attributed to others I tend to go with the Bessie Braddock version for the simple reason that she was spectacularly ugly.

The most famous Lady Astor exchange was;

Lady Astor:
"If you were my husband I'd poison your coffee."
Churchill:
"If you were my wife, I'd drink it."
You might well be right maxedout: I tend to go with Nancy Astor only because its so well known how sincerely the two of them hated one another.

Another comment always attributed to Churchill is that after Clement Attlee defeated Churchill in the 1945 General Election, Churchill remarked:

''An empty taxi arrived at No 10 Downing Street and when the door was opened, Mr Clement Attlee got out.''

Churchill was well known for his pithy and deadly one-line put downs, but though I have always believed this cruel and rapier thrust was his, I have recently learned that he vehemently disowned it:

''Mr Attlee is an honourable and gallant gentleman, and a faithful colleague who served his country well at the time of her greatest need. I should be obliged if you would make it clear whenever an occasion arises that I would never make such a remark about him, and that I strongly disapprove of anyone who does.'' [Kenneth Harris: Attlee]. If Churchill had not rated Attlee he would have found ways to sideline him in the Co-alition Cabinet of 1940-45, but in fact Attlee was a key player in that government and, crucially, never undermined his Conservative boss or played party politics when the survival of Britain was on the line. Churchill was a merciless political bruiser but also fair and loyal to colleagues if they were fair and loyal to him. This denial rings true to me.

Its a shame in one way because it remains a brilliant put-down one liner.

You can't always believe what you hear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
scoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to scoundrel For This Useful Post: