View Single Post
Old July 14th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #19
qwerty007
I got myself banned

Thanked 121,987 Times in 4,988 Posts
qwerty007 500000+qwerty007 500000+qwerty007 500000+qwerty007 500000+qwerty007 500000+qwerty007 500000+qwerty007 500000+qwerty007 500000+qwerty007 500000+qwerty007 500000+qwerty007 500000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by keefriff View Post
I can't imagine that many players will want to come and play for the Habs if that were ownerships attitude towards salaries and players. 'Eff them? I bet the players will be beating down the door to sign.

So let me get this right. The guys who own the team take all the risks. The players deserve whatever the owner feels he should give them. Who cares about the athlete who has a debilitating injury at work when he's 24 because he makes good money. Screw all players who leave my team no matter what they did while they played for my team. And people only follow players instead of teams...except you who is a die hard Habs fan. Got it
Nope - let me explain it this way;

Ever hear of a player called Guy Lafleur? He was a Montreal GOD. Did everything in Mtl, and was everything. There were money issues and he left, went to the Rangers and then the Nordiques.

Did Montrealers stop cheering for the Habs and buy jerseys with Lafleurs name on it, with NY or Que? Nope. He was gone. He was no longer a Hab. The TEAM was bigger than the player.

My point about the money is this; Why do you care, what Lebron makes?

"I don't begrudge ANY proffesional athlete for trying to get the most that he can."

Even to the detriment of your team? So you support the player, over the team, I guess? So Jamarcus Russell getting $39 million from the Raiders was cool, right?

BTW: Not that it matters much, but there is a stat bandied about that 75% of NFL players face financial hardship with 5 years of retirement. That makes it the rule and not the exception (like in Minneapolis) FAR MORE GUYS GOING BANKRUPT, then having their careers ended by injury...

No - I am very much a union guy. Owners would pay players as little as they could, without a doubt.

But I am also an HONOUR guy...that is what I am talking about.

The problem is that honour AND chasing the dollar seldom meet. What LeBron did was not honourable. See your boy from the Timberwolves - KG? Played hard, played alone (in futility) so they did him a favour and traded him to Boston to play for some titles. Did KG hold a press conference? Make a splash? Dance with Ray Allen and Pierce on a stage upon his arrival? KG gave the best years of his life to the Timberwolves.

Lebron...not so much...

Ever hear of Ray Bourque? Boston to the Avs?

(On the NHL cap thing)

Apparently, most of the players were ready to accept a cap, but the lawyers for the players wouldn't let it happen. Once the dust settled, players LOST as much as 25% of their salaries AND got a hard cap. Now, the NHLPA has torn itself apart...

It's just my feeling that players in the NBA play more for the paycheck, than for the love of the game.
qwerty007 is offline   Reply With Quote