View Single Post
Old August 17th, 2010, 04:00 PM   #1
willy9b

Thanked 1,016 Times in 56 Posts
willy9b 5000+willy9b 5000+willy9b 5000+willy9b 5000+willy9b 5000+willy9b 5000+willy9b 5000+willy9b 5000+willy9b 5000+willy9b 5000+willy9b 5000+
Default Paul's Little Household Hints

I think all of us (especially we singles!) have at least one or two little shortcuts that, well, just make life that little bit easier sometimes. I'll start us off with a few of my favourites -- that should give you some ideas.

If you're using the oven the best way to cook baked beans is to half open the can, drain off some of the sauce and then stand it in the oven until your meal is cooked. As an advantage, this is the best way to cook them. (the clue is in the name!) This also works well with tinned tomatoes.

When you've eaten a Fray Bentos tinned pie, wash up the tin and keep it as a tiny oven dish when you're just heating a small amount of something. If it gets really manky any time, just chuck it away.

An easy way to produce mashed potatoes is to microwave them until they are soft and then mash them up on the plate you are going to use for your meal with a bit of milk and butter. The skins add an interesting texture as well as being nutritious.

Buy a breadmaker -- not only will you get a good variety of really cheap, really fresh bread but you can set it to finish just before you get up. If you have a freezer, cut the loaf in two once it has cooled, put half of it in a plastic bag (slice it first, if you prefer) and it will stay fresh for at least a month. Incidentally, buy the best one you can afford and check out the reviews (on Amazon for example) before splashing out.

If you're hammering in small tacks, nails or panel pins, to avoid hitting your fingers put the nail in between the teeth of a comb before positioning it.

Right, guys -- over to you. The best tip wins a prize, and I am a liar.
willy9b is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to willy9b For This Useful Post: