View Single Post
Old November 8th, 2017, 07:03 AM   #115
Avory

Avory 500+Avory 500+Avory 500+Avory 500+Avory 500+Avory 500+Avory 500+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost2509 View Post
victor10
Thanks for posting the Sara Cortright video.
I remember buying the VHS cassette tape from TLI.
No need to apologize for the quality. It was pretty poor back then.
I think Caye bought the cheapest VHS tapes available.
I did not review the posted video in question, but there were actually two Sara Cortright releases, both having the same video footage, but the second had an overlaid soundtrack that gave the tape a strange audio quality that was unsettling. For some reason, Larry felt the original had muddled sound (it wasn't perfect, but it was okay). My original was on Beta tape, so I purchased the second version on VHS, but never liked it as much because of the so-called "improved" audio (that I'm not even sure it was Sara's voice).

As for the quality of Larry's videotape, I actually found it very good overall. Rarely did I have one that exhibited video dropouts, and they lasted a long time. I have quite a collection (probably 90% of the releases) and not one has failed yet. In fact, given the overall quality of tape and reproduction equipment used in the semi-pro and amateur mail order field of the day, I felt Larry's output under the TLI label was easily in the top 5% just from a technical standpoint, if not better. Needless to say, the content was even better.

Whether it was his natural obsessiveness or simply a respect for his customers, Larry Caye was a gem in a business that had very few of them.
Avory is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Avory For This Useful Post: