View Single Post
Old October 21st, 2017, 11:26 PM   #32358
Devius
Veteran Member

Thanked 228,386 Times in 23,553 Posts
Devius 1000000+Devius 1000000+Devius 1000000+Devius 1000000+Devius 1000000+Devius 1000000+Devius 1000000+Devius 1000000+Devius 1000000+Devius 1000000+Devius 1000000+
Default WHO Decision will be re-evaluated after appointment of Zimbabwean despot provokes global anger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devius View Post
Mugabe named as goodwill ambassador by WHO

The World Health Organization (WHO) has appointed President Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe as a "goodwill ambassador" to help tackle non-communicable diseases.

New WHO head Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus praised Zimbabwe for its commitment to public health.

But critics say that during Mr Mugabe's 37-year rule Zimbabwe's health services have deteriorated, with staff regularly unpaid and medicines in short supply.

Dr Tedros, who is Ethiopian, is the first African to lead the WHO.

He was elected with a mandate to tackle perceived politicisation in the organisation.

Dr Tedros replaced Margaret Chan, who stepped down from her 10-year post in June.

Details:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-41702662
What....A....Surprise....

The head of the World Health Organization has said he is rethinking his decision to name Zimbabwe’s president, Robert Mugabe, as a goodwill ambassador after the move provoked global outrage.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the director general of the UN health agency, had this week asked Zimbabwe’s 93-year-old authoritarian leader to serve in the role to help tackle non-communicable diseases such as heart attacks, strokes and asthma across Africa.

The decision triggered confusion and anger among WHO member states and activists who noted that Zimbabwe’s health care system, like many of its public services, has collapsed under Mugabe’s regime.

Details:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ill-ambassador

Methinks the WHO Director General should also "rethink" if he is the right man for the job.
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Devius For This Useful Post: