View Single Post
Old December 19th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #98
eelcat
Vintage Member

Thanked 6,300 Times in 648 Posts
eelcat 25000+eelcat 25000+eelcat 25000+eelcat 25000+eelcat 25000+eelcat 25000+eelcat 25000+eelcat 25000+eelcat 25000+eelcat 25000+eelcat 25000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatmiser View Post
America generally operates under "at-will" employement laws which means that you can let someone go for any non-illegal reason you want.
I can't imagine things functioning any other way. How can a company function without the ability to hire and fire as it see fit?
In a Utopian society a workplace without unionised labour would be ideal. I was once a union shop steward 15 years ago but left that place of employment and never bothered to join the union again. However in recent years our boss has tried to f*ck us around with manipulating enterprise bargaining contracts to the companies advantage and at the disadvantage of the workers so that he can earn his meaty bonus at the end of the year. One time the boss called a meeting and promptly stopped our morning break that we had been enjoying since times immemorial because the company was paying for that and didn't have to.
Mind you things have changed recently for the good with a new boss but I think it is in many of our best interests to belong to a union as an insurance against being taken advantage of.
eelcat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to eelcat For This Useful Post: