View Single Post
Old July 25th, 2009, 11:40 PM   #2
scoundrel
Super Moderator

Thanked 278,408 Times in 26,182 Posts
scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+
Default Pleasantville (1998)

Just finished watching Pleasantville, which I have seen several times before but was happy to watch again because its a film which rewards re-viewing.

On one level it is a sweet and charming fairy tale and works fine watched only as such. But it is also a critique of 1950s America, both the real one and the one seen on film. The references to the civil rights struggle and the associated mob violence are implied, but unmistakeable. The set in the trial scene is exactly as seen in the trial of Tom Robinson in To Kill A Mockingbird with the ''coloured'' people relegated to the upper balcony. There are also witty and sharp references to the 1950s classic sci-fi horror flic Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, especially the wonderful bowling alley scene. The life-bringing change is misinterpreted as a sinister plot to destroy the pleasant world where everything is always predictable and safe, with the ''coloured'' people as the replicant aliens in the midst of the real b/w people. The critique is also of McCarthism and right wing despotism: there is even a book burning scene in which Reese Witherspoon's Jennifer clings tearfully and touchingly to the first book she has ever, in the true sense of the words, read and appreciated, and speaks out trenchantly for decency and common humanity: my how she has grown up since being transported to Pleasantville.

I really really really like this film.

The film is packed full of superb acting performances which really flesh out the whimsy of the fantastical situation with full blooded human credibilty. William H Macy as the soap opera father is splendid as ever. Toby Maguire carries much of the film and in guiding his sister (Reese Witherspoon) into the mysteries of the Pleasantville world acts as our guide and mentor also. But my especial plaudits are reserved for the female leads.

Reese Witherspoon as Jennifer (Mary Sue Parker in the series, seen above in the blue cardigan) is perfect. She brings both beauty and hugely enjoyable wickedness to her role, enthusiastically debauching and seducing not only Skip Martin, but little by little, all the youth of the town. She doesn't sleep with all of them by any means, though it seems as though she does cut a fairly impressive swathe through the best looking young men, but she influences the town by both her subversive attitude and her enquiring mind, ironic given that in the 1990s world she was blinkered, unacademic and self-absorbed. The sequence when she relates the plot of one of the few books she happens to have been compelled to read in her real school and the dummy copy of the book becomes real as she unfolds the plot, the blank pages filling page by page, is both ingeniously done and emotionally very satisfying: we see the process of this narrow-minded and selfish girl blossoming mentally and emotionally into a much more mature and spiritually aware young woman. The screen writers can be proud of writing this excellent part and Reese Witherspoon really does justice to it. Well done her.

Plaudits also to Joan Allen as the middle-aged innocent, Betty Parker, who looks like a middle aged stay-at-home housewife from the 1950s and is yet really beautiful: you don't have to be young and dumb to be desirable. She's the one above in pink on the park bench opposite William H Macy. Betty is much quicker then most of the Pleasantville habitues to learn the new realities; the scene where Mary Sue teaches her ''mother'' about the birds and the bees is exquisitely funny and also extremely sweet and touching, leading as well to the hilarious 'flames of passion' episode. Let me also put in a good word for pretty and talented Marley Shelton as Margaret Henderson, (above in red) who is the girl who breaks character by falling in love with Bud Parker (Tobey Maguire) when the series script intends her for a High School jock who turns out, once freed from the bonds of Pleasantville pleasantness to be a thuggish rednecked worthless pig; thanks to the wind of change, Margaret can make her own choices and shows excellent judgement in throwing her cap at Tobey Maguire's character instead.

No matter what the benefits of a controlled society, these women would very much rather enjoy the freedom to make their own mistakes and are prepared to accept the responsibility of freedom. Its an uplifting message and a firm rebuke to the various crypto-fascist voices from all different directions who think women should not have the right of choice. This is the most engaging and disarming feminist production I have ever seen.

I really really really like this film. Did I mention that before?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
scoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 62 Users Say Thank You to scoundrel For This Useful Post: