View Single Post
Old November 8th, 2015, 06:34 PM   #20
hos
Veteran Member

Thanked 89,340 Times in 9,361 Posts
hos 500000+hos 500000+hos 500000+hos 500000+hos 500000+hos 500000+hos 500000+hos 500000+hos 500000+hos 500000+hos 500000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by effCup View Post
Not sure it quite fits the "what is a suitable id" thread, either?
i asked myself the same, or better said i ask myself why we have 2 threads which are focussing on nearly the same question. cause the reliable ID depends on the reliable source. seems it's just a suboptimal thread title since the starting post was rather about collecting information than to find answers to the question what a reliable source is.

anyhow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beutelwolf
The most common reason is: finding more material about the model.
agreed. but isn't that the next step, and isn't this section about asking for names and not for content?

sure it's nice and welcomed that with the quest for names further material comes to light, but this was never the factor to run this section and it was never a necessarity for calling a request solved. it's side-effect.

you may remember the days when icu and me have taken care of this section - we always kept solved threads for at least a month. this gave enough time for further material, for eventually name changes and more important - for the starter of a request to find his question in the same section where he puts it.

after that month, we decided for all those solved requests the ones which are worth to keep. we cleaned them up so that model section moderators don't have any work to do beside welcoming either new content in existing model threads or completely new models. and for all solved models we created ID sheets to have at least one pic / name reference in our stores.

all these solved models were logged and announced to the members:
http://vintage-erotica-forum.com/t14...pdate-log.html

so we rather put some extra work into informing and logging, and we never had to deal with questions about reliability of sources or IDs. may because we had a very comprehensive knowledge of models on our own. may because we had a clear concept which kind of sources we accepted as reliable enough and which sources were dropped (and not one way this, another the next). whatever.

sadly, when it comes to "appreciation of work", the majority of forum members either don't take advantage of this work or aren't very thankful.

Quote:
classifcation, i.e. future searchability, principal key of a database. What collectors use at home, in their private DBs, does not really matter here
that's right, but let's be clear here as well: a forum software is technically based on a database, but a forum isn't a database itself - like iafd or egafd. the purpose is different (even if you can use it similar) and this is exactly the reason why the search is never perfect, no matter what you're looking for. in a database, for example, you can have film:model (m:n) relations which allow to search existing models against existing films to gain results (or views) with a single film lists all casted models, giving crosslinks to each of these models for further investigation.

in a forum you don't have these relations. you have to build it by hand, with the help by its members and its adminstrators (who can create "subforums" like "classic movies") and its moderators (who can move wrong posts from a model thread to the correct one). the relations of a forum database are forum:thread (1:n), thread:post (1:n) and member:post (1:n), which gives us just those search results and list views we all know.

so, no matter what and how we do it here in MIR, the "future searchability" will always be the result of how organized the entire forum is, and not how organized model id request is, beside that the future of threads in this section can be declared as "very temporary" in comparison to the model forums.

Quote:
In that sense, "Samantha in Men Only Volume 93" is an id (of sorts) if that info is new, and it is not if it was not. Should that close the thread though? I would say it should close the thread if Ms Samantha has a separate thread elsewhere in the forum, as this is also a place where extra info can go. If not, it is a useful piece of info, an id of sorts, possibly worth to be recognised in the HOF game (not that I care), but extra info may still come along and had nowhere else to go, so why not keep it open.
even if you mean it different - the thread is still open. we don't close them, we just say "solved" or not. the ID game for motivation isn't my point either. my point is, this section wants to be reliable but you aren't reliable if you don't have a clear line about what's a solve or not. and if one time you allow Samantha @MenOnly (because a thread exists) and one time you don't (because a thread dosn't exist), i don't see a clear line what's counted as solved. because "having a thread" is as well no factor for multiple other models.

so why not saying solve?

people can always come here and ask for the same model again. and not every model must be kept with a separate thread, if there is just the 5 pics in a MenOnly mag which are posted in the mag section. but sure, you can also keep (or create) those threads, if you (or the section mods) like to handle it this way.

tl;dr:
model id request section is about asking for names. a correct answer based on a "clear line for reliabilty and approval" is already enough to call a request solved. everyone can use this information like he wants to, or add more stuff, more names, better names. everything further (how long will threads be kept here, will they be moved or deleted, what is the clear line for reliability and approval) is in moderators hands.

Last edited by hos; November 8th, 2015 at 11:48 PM.. Reason: typos and sorts
hos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to hos For This Useful Post: