View Single Post
Old February 24th, 2008, 05:58 AM   #23
hoyya
Veteran Member

Thanked 60,653 Times in 1,188 Posts
hoyya 250000+hoyya 250000+hoyya 250000+hoyya 250000+hoyya 250000+hoyya 250000+hoyya 250000+hoyya 250000+hoyya 250000+hoyya 250000+hoyya 250000+
Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellsmyre49 View Post
First James Bond film I saw was Dr No in late 1964 or early 65 -the later films were never as good as that one as they veered further and further away from the original novels and emphasised the high tech gadget nonsense..

I read most of the novels at that time [I was in my early teens] The first one I read was "From Russia With Love" - I recall thinking that Fleming's Bond was colder and much more ruthless than that portrayed in the films.

If I was to pick a favourite of the novels I'd opt for "The Spy Who Loved Me" - It's written in a different style from the other books, [first person perspective of the main female character], and emphasises the almost thuggish brutality of Bond.

I haven't read an Ian Fleming novel for 40 years - I must read one now and see what the
slightly more grown up me thinks.

Have you read the novels in English or translated versions [or both]??

As much as I know was Dr No the first Bond film and naturally it's one of the best besides Goldfinger because of Ursula Andress and Sean Connory. I think Dr No was in b/w, wasn't it?
For me it's interesting, that we both were attached to the 007 novels in our early teens. I think I was fascinated by Bonds consequence in fullfilling his mission and all the adventures he lived through. And in the books you really belive, there is danger and he faces it!
I haven't touched no Bond novel in over 20 years (at that age I could not yet read english), but I think I'll buy me "Thunderball" now in original!
I'll have a look at eBay!

_
hoyya is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hoyya For This Useful Post: