View Single Post
Old September 18th, 2009, 01:28 AM   #29
Mad_Hatter
Vintage Member

Thanked 38,526 Times in 1,623 Posts
Mad_Hatter 175000+Mad_Hatter 175000+Mad_Hatter 175000+Mad_Hatter 175000+Mad_Hatter 175000+Mad_Hatter 175000+Mad_Hatter 175000+Mad_Hatter 175000+Mad_Hatter 175000+Mad_Hatter 175000+Mad_Hatter 175000+

Well, re: the topless Apocalypse Now photos that some think are fake, I dug out the October 1979 issue of Playboy, that has this article entitled "Apocalypse Finally". Let me quote here from Colleen Camp:

"Actually, I think I'm psychic. At first, Linda [sic] Carter was cast in the Playmate role. Playboy did a centerfold shot with her, the whole bit (my italics). But seven months later, a typhoon had destroyed all the sets and Linda couldn't continue because of Wonder Woman, I guess."

Also, I found this on a blog:

No, anonymous has his facts completely wrong. First, the photo of Lynda topless IS entirely real. Second, the photo does NOT appear in Apocalypse Now, either the original or Redux.

The photo reproduced on this site is the top half of the Playboy centerfold shoot that she did when she was originally cast in Apocalypse Now (in the role later taken over by Colleen Camp). This was all explained in Playboy magazine, when they published the later centerfold shot of Colleen Camp and the photographer discussed how Lynda Carter had already posed for him before rains interrupted the film shooting and Carter had to drop out of the movie (to take on the role of Wonder Woman, actually).

The idea that there is some kind of 'photo-manipulation' going on here is simply an urban legend that is often repeated without having a close look at the facts. Some people think that the Carter centerfold is actually Colleen Camp's Playboy centerfold but with Lynda's head affixed. But those two pictures have different shirts, different jeans, different nail polish many points of difference.

The centerfold photo carried by the soldiers in all versions of the film is that of Camp, not Carter.

I got a copy of this photo through a mail-order company in the late 70s. I'm convinced it's real.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"We sang in the sunshine. Then she went on her way." ♫

Last edited by Sam Spade; September 18th, 2009 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: Removed banned link
Mad_Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Mad_Hatter For This Useful Post: