View Single Post
Old September 23rd, 2012, 02:56 PM   #19
MrInBetween
R.I.P.

Thanked 48,453 Times in 3,898 Posts
MrInBetween 175000+MrInBetween 175000+MrInBetween 175000+MrInBetween 175000+MrInBetween 175000+MrInBetween 175000+MrInBetween 175000+MrInBetween 175000+MrInBetween 175000+MrInBetween 175000+MrInBetween 175000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by electile disfunction View Post
(BTW: Google no longer seems to search for "phrases in quotation marks" any more, either. )
It does still do that. I've just used it to search for "phrases in quotation marks" and yours is the only post in VEF containing that phrase. What Google doesn't do any more is use the +operator to force searching for an exact word - you have to put that word in quotes to force it. There's an explanation here of how the operators function now.

Another thing Google doesn't do of course is search parts of the forum that are only accessible to members.

On another note, down the bottom of the screen is a link marked Archive.

This takes you to a text only version of the forum (and one slightly behind the times). Longer threads are compressed onto a smaller number of pages, and the same is true of the forums: at this moment, Modern Movies has 4916 posts, displayed over 85 pages in the full version of the forum - but only 7 in the archive. So if you aren't sure how something is expressed, instead of searching for it, you could browse for it very much more quickly. Alternately, given you can get a much greater proportion of a thread or forum listing on a single page, you could just use your browser's text search facility.

I'm sorry Gentlemen, that's all the lipstick around the nipple we have time for

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MrInBetween; March 20th, 2013 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: Clarification of the final point
MrInBetween is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MrInBetween For This Useful Post: