View Single Post
Old August 15th, 2013, 09:39 PM   #10
hos
Veteran Member

Thanked 89,360 Times in 9,363 Posts
hos 500000+hos 500000+hos 500000+hos 500000+hos 500000+hos 500000+hos 500000+hos 500000+hos 500000+hos 500000+hos 500000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by exfarmer View Post
That mystery box post was made by merging two of your posts that were in the same request thread, I've no idea why it didn't show up in searches though.
seems that the search index for posted content is only updated with new or modified posts, but not with post merges. bad software development.

but searching items in the mystery box is generally a hard task - for example i keep on track with my unknowns always by storing the post ID (i name the folder with the content of my unknown with that post ID). but by mod actions, such an ID can change.

beside that a move from a thread (if just one post) into a different thread the original thread ID gets lost (therefore i don't use the thread ID as folder name), post merges lead to the situation that one post looses its post ID as well. also, if you don't take care of titles, titles get lost, too. also it can happen that posts have been re-dated to match the month-based addition of a request - which leads to a different post ID as well.

this all makes it hard to find original requests when they were moved to the mystery box.

there isn't really a good solution to solve this issue, but at least there is a way to stay on track: check all monthly additions of mystery posts (they are announced by exfarmer in the section news thread) if posts of yourself were added. then store the post url in the mystery box to your own image collection of your unknowns, f.e. as hyperlink shortcut - or as bookmark in your browser.

you find the post url behind the post number.

Last edited by hos; August 15th, 2013 at 09:47 PM..
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to hos For This Useful Post: