View Single Post
Old December 8th, 2015, 12:28 PM   #26
deepsepia

Thanked 83,400 Times in 7,194 Posts
deepsepia 350000+deepsepia 350000+deepsepia 350000+deepsepia 350000+deepsepia 350000+deepsepia 350000+deepsepia 350000+deepsepia 350000+deepsepia 350000+deepsepia 350000+deepsepia 350000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by beutelwolf View Post

I have played around with PaintShopPro to find a setting would recover a bit of that dulled color, and so far the best results are using "Vibrancy" under Hue+Saturation. With a value of 60% the above was produced, from the original seen earlier.
One thing I notice with that image is that there's a "hotspot" most likely caused by a flash, you see this with any piece of paper that you photograph under a flash. Before you do other corrections, fixing the hotspot so that the center and the edges are a more even brightness helps a lot.

I do this by creating a graduated radial mask that approximates the falloff in brightness, I then use that as a selection, and adjust the brightness of the image. That is, I'll brighten the edges and/or darken the center of the image as selected by the mask.

You can do a mask like this in Photoshop in one or two steps, probably similar in Paintshop. Here's the before and after of a selection and radial brighten, your original on the left, the mask in the middle, modified on the right. Its a subtle effect, but the thing is, getting even brightness impacts everything else, notably contrast and vibrance, so you do this correction first. The tricky part is estimating the mask, which you have to do by eye, a bit of trial and error.

Last edited by deepsepia; December 8th, 2015 at 12:44 PM..
deepsepia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to deepsepia For This Useful Post: