View Single Post
Old September 25th, 2017, 04:38 PM   #1902
deepsepia

Thanked 83,539 Times in 7,208 Posts
deepsepia 350000+deepsepia 350000+deepsepia 350000+deepsepia 350000+deepsepia 350000+deepsepia 350000+deepsepia 350000+deepsepia 350000+deepsepia 350000+deepsepia 350000+deepsepia 350000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by potterstoke View Post

However, with regard to the image which is referred to as the Dream of the Fisherman's Wife, it has been in the mainstream media circus for over a year now, since it appears in graphic colour in the film 'Handmaiden' (which I found very evocative). It seems odd perhaps that some (including Amazon, Netflix, etc) and no doubt others are showing this image within the context of the film, and consider it perfectly acceptable.

I'm sure many here have already seen the film so I'm surprised that no one has posted a similar response to this image before.
I did post it a while back, and a mod said "take it down"-- so the experiment has been run.

I didn't argue the point. Context matters. A museum can show edgy content with far less fear than a board devoted to erotica, because the context in which a board might be challenged by an ISP is very different. Basically someone complains "there's a girl getting tentacled" and now the board has to tangle with an ISP who really doesn't care at all what's being shown at the Tate.

Similarly, a museum might show the Lewis Caroll/Charles Dodgson's photo of a young Alice Liddell, which you wouldn't want to do here . . . where the threshold of suspicion/ for suppression is lower, one treads more carefully

. . .and because no post in this thread should be all text, I attach some Japanese shunga (erotic art) with absolutely no tentacles.

A few years' back the British Museum did an exhibition of Japanese erotic art . . . did anyone here see it?

https://www.artfund.org/what-to-see/...900-exhibition

Last edited by deepsepia; September 25th, 2017 at 06:35 PM..
deepsepia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to deepsepia For This Useful Post: