View Single Post
Old June 14th, 2017, 08:00 PM   #18
Denaniel
Administrator

Thanked 425,822 Times in 13,444 Posts
Denaniel 1000000+Denaniel 1000000+Denaniel 1000000+Denaniel 1000000+Denaniel 1000000+Denaniel 1000000+Denaniel 1000000+Denaniel 1000000+Denaniel 1000000+Denaniel 1000000+Denaniel 1000000+
Default vef-imagerescue can download what *appear* to be dead images

Quote:
Originally Posted by effCup View Post
Maybe unrelated: One of the images in the post imagebam has "forgotten its filename". So one of your dot-files has the text value:

34074677?AWSAccessKeyId=1K3S7Z90W9SH1PAJ9702&Expir es=1497536878&Signature=X9wwP9xS4GY8pfcQOJ6isyBl0P o=

I have seen this months before with manual or Image Host Grabber downloads of some files on imagebam--i.e. sometimes some images have long names like that, & include "AWSAccessKeyId=" & "Signature=" in them.

Hmmm, but testing with IHG I find that in this case that link with the "forgotten" filename is also a dead image, rather than a download-able image file. So maybe that is all irrelevant.
Discovered another interesting and useful thing about the vef-imagerescue tool.

As effCup mentioned in an earlier post (quoted above), sometimes the file name cannot be found, and the file is downloaded as a partial name with no file extension.

I found a few of these files with no extension, and they all had gibberish file names ending in an equals sign: =

When I changed the file name, replacing the equals sign with the extension .jpg, I was able to open and view the image in Windows Photo Viewer.

The surprise was, although the thumbnail link in the original post linked to a dead image, and Image Host Grabber failed to download it, the imagerescue tool was able to download the full size image!

Below are the imagebam thumb (left) and a thumb for my reup to imagezilla. Click on them and see what you get.

original imagebam thumb (left), new imagezilla thumb (reupped today)

This is good news for those of us trying to archive these vulnerable images, but it also means we have to be careful not to delete thumbnail links that we think are dead, before processing the thread with the imagerescue tool.

Please PM me if any of my links are dead.

Don't post your thanks, hit the "Thanks" button!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Denaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Denaniel For This Useful Post: