View Single Post
Old May 8th, 2018, 09:20 PM   #34561
Roubignol
Veteran Member

Thanked 29,726 Times in 3,826 Posts
Roubignol 100000+Roubignol 100000+Roubignol 100000+Roubignol 100000+Roubignol 100000+Roubignol 100000+Roubignol 100000+Roubignol 100000+Roubignol 100000+Roubignol 100000+Roubignol 100000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by palo5 View Post
Oh! Clearly I'm confusing something. I thought democracy was when everyone gets a vote, every vote counts, and it leads to representative government. And I thought demonstrations had to do with freedom of expression, and needed permission from local authorities

Did I get that wrong?
It was a question during the last French election (and even in the past in the Swiss votations too). What if the blank votes are majority?

The opinion of the left candidate Mélanchon was the following: if the blank votes are majority, the election must be considered as nul and new candidates must be proposed to the population.

I think that Mélanchon was correct on this point. Even if I dislike to see a man or a woman often illegitimately representing million of people.

Today in France, Macron who only got on the first tour 18% of the votes (and 18% in 2nd tour of the legislatives), runs the country like if he had 90%.
He's a liberal. He's a disguised Blairist.
But he doesn't represent 82% of the population.
His presidency is an hold-up.
He today "legitimately" destroys all the French structures thanks 18% of the votes.

This kind of democracy is a terrible problem. It's a masquerade.
Maybe the solution could be to "force" people to vote or to desintegrate the nation, letting the people organising themselves in small regions or communities.

That would be nice at least to debate instead to legitimate a notion that doesn't correspond to the majority of the citizens.
Roubignol is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Roubignol For This Useful Post: