View Single Post
Old October 20th, 2017, 04:49 PM   #2857
hound dog
Vintage Member

Thanked 18,733 Times in 1,087 Posts
hound dog 50000+hound dog 50000+hound dog 50000+hound dog 50000+hound dog 50000+hound dog 50000+hound dog 50000+hound dog 50000+hound dog 50000+hound dog 50000+hound dog 50000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhbear69 View Post
That's a product of his status of health respectively his mental condition, IMHO.
I agree it's a product of his mental makeup. Whatever the cause is, the effect is dividing this country. I saw what was happening to the country during the late 60's to early 70's during the Viet Nam war and civil rights movement, I was born in '61. I lived in Ohio when Kent State happened, and my family was driving from Mobile, Alabama back to Cincinnati when the race riots began in Selma. The divides today remind me of then, and how I imagine emotions were running just prior to and during the Civil War.

We've been fighting wars for a long time now, racism is still something we struggle mightily with as a society. The hate and vitriol only continues to divide us further. As president, Trump should be using his office as a means of uniting, but he doesn't seem capable of it. To me, his constantly having to respond to _every_ perceived slight or criticism is greatly contributing to the problem. I would rather that the president acted like an adult and rose above it, ignoring the insults and concentrating on actually doing the job of running the country. Results will speak for themselves. But he's really had no results to speak of that he can claim as his own. That's not meant to be a stinging criticism, he hasn't been in office a year yet, but still his time in office so far is rather lack luster when compared to other president's accomplishments in their first year. A lack of real results coupled with his very real ability to divide rather than unite, or even seem to attempt to unite, (the only time president Trump appeared to me to be attempting to unite the country was when he said that some of the white extremist protesters in Charlottesville were good people too) and I don't see things getting any better for the remainder of his term. Blame who you want for this, the president himself, or critical liberal's, the result will still be the same, a continued division and subdivision within the country.

Donald Trump does not like to lose, I think we can all agree on that. I think he's going to pull an LBJ before 2020 and decide to not seek reelection. Not because he doesn't want to have two terms on his resume', he wants those two terms now more than ever, thinking of a one term president as a loser, but because he wont have the support to win the republican nomination, and will be able to say he chose not to seek reelection rather than face losing the nomination.

Last edited by hound dog; October 20th, 2017 at 07:43 PM..
hound dog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to hound dog For This Useful Post: