View Single Post
Old November 9th, 2017, 06:24 PM   #2903
tsunamiSD
Veteran Member

Thanked 641,138 Times in 53,179 Posts
tsunamiSD 2500000+tsunamiSD 2500000+tsunamiSD 2500000+tsunamiSD 2500000+tsunamiSD 2500000+tsunamiSD 2500000+tsunamiSD 2500000+tsunamiSD 2500000+tsunamiSD 2500000+tsunamiSD 2500000+tsunamiSD 2500000+

Suburbs Rebel Against Trump, Threatening Republicans in Congress

Quote:
RICHMOND, Va. — The American suburbs appear to be in revolt against President Trump after a muscular coalition of college-educated voters and racial and ethnic minorities dealt the Republican Party a thumping rejection on Tuesday and propelled a diverse class of Democrats into office.
Quote:
Chris Vance, a former chairman of the Washington State Republican Party, placed the blame squarely on Mr. Trump: “Among college-educated suburbanites, he is a pariah.”
Democrats still face formidable obstacles in the 2018 election, including some not at work in this week’s elections. If a suburban insurrection might help Democrats take the House, the Senate seats at stake next year are overwhelmingly in conservative, rural states, where feelings about Mr. Trump range from ambivalent to positive. So far, only two Republican Senate seats are clearly in play: the one in Arizona being vacated by Jeff Flake and Dean Heller’s in Nevada.
Quote:
Congressional Republicans on Wednesday were bracing for a new wave of retirements just one day after another pair of veteran House members, Representative Frank A. LoBiondo of New Jersey and Representative Ted Poe of Texas, declared they would not seek re-election. Already, 29 House Republicans have said they will not run again, while just seven Democrats have announced plans to retire.
Mr. Dent, channeling the exasperation of his colleagues, suggested an exodus might be imminent. “Do they really want to go through another year of this?” said Mr. Dent, a leader of his caucus’s moderate wing, who has announced he will not run again.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to tsunamiSD For This Useful Post: