View Single Post
Old February 12th, 2011, 04:21 AM   #564
demsal8
R.I.P

Thanked 33,222 Times in 1,807 Posts
demsal8 100000+demsal8 100000+demsal8 100000+demsal8 100000+demsal8 100000+demsal8 100000+demsal8 100000+demsal8 100000+demsal8 100000+demsal8 100000+demsal8 100000+
Question Brigitte revealed

@stardust2003 - I concur with your analysis that the photo of Miss Bardot has been colored. I'm going to give you some details which might allow you to determine conclusively in the future which category a color picture belongs in.

Below are two sections of the Bardot picture blown up 300% from normal to allow details to be seen more clearly. In the first, encompassing much of the face and upper hair, I find several indications that prove conclusively that this is not a natural color image. I have circled all of the problems in a light red so you may follow what I'm talking about. First, in all of the cases where the hair circles other areas of non-hair, no attempt was made to move the background color into the circlet of strands. In every case where I checked, the inner area of the loops were exactly the same color as the hair (hue = 26 degrees). That's a bit technical but a brief review: Color is determined by a position around a circle where red is 0, yellow is 60, green is 120, cyan is 180, blue is 240, magenta is 300, circling back to red at 360 or 0. Our friend who worked on this image wasn't capable of mixing colors in close proximity. Most telling is the top tip of the ear where the color of skin stops abruptly before the ear disappears into the hair. It also appears to me that the eyebrows have been painted over in skin color without any attempt to change them to match the hair.

On the second photo, again the tell-tale is an inability to merge colors in thin strands. Every place where the hair thins out it suddenly turns to green, the color of the background. At the top of the arm, the skin color disappears before it should in favor of the hair color. And the circle near the bottom border of the arm shows a place where the background color missed approaching the arm. All of these indicate that this image has been colored.

I'm not criticizing the person who colored this image, I think they did a great job. I'm particularly envious of the hair color which has escaped me in the past. But now I'm adding this to my people palette so I'll have it in the future. But if I had to point at anything I don't like it would be the skin color chosen. A yellowish tint like this typically comes from a scan of a printed image. If you use it straight without adjusting it to reduce the yellow, it looks strange to my eye. Proper skin colors should be orange, not yellow.

I believe you will not find any of these flaws in the pictures I have colored. I take a lot of extra time to properly merge colors so they look natural and to color individual strands of hair that impinge on other areas of a different color. Check out Jayne's forehead for verification.

I hope this helps you in the future. Let me know if you have any more questions.

:)
Read the forum rules and follow them and we'll get along just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by demsal8; February 12th, 2011 at 04:33 AM..
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to demsal8 For This Useful Post: