Vintage Erotica Forums

Vintage Erotica Forums (http://vintage-erotica-forum.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion & News (http://vintage-erotica-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Cable/Satellite TV (http://vintage-erotica-forum.com/showthread.php?t=170907)

Giacson August 17th, 2011 08:24 PM

I'm just a few days past downgrading my cable tv subscription. With internet included from the same company, I still pay about $100 a month. A great percentage of that is comprised of ridiculously high rental fees for devices needed for the service and taxes. I downgraded because I was fed up with repeated movies I didnt care to see in the first place and junk channels providing much of the same (or worse). The "dish" networks only offer the same and anything less than cable or satellite service..well..:( If I could chose to pay for only the channels I found worth watching, it would probably amount to less than a dozen.

Its frustrating to see some of the channels I used to like so much turn out so much sensationalizing crap. Discovery and History channels to name just a couple. "Quest" this and "Quest" that shows :mad: The viewer knows exactly what will be discovered at the end of each and every one of these shows..Nothing! And all the doomsday shows...please! :rolleyes:

axdx April 23rd, 2013 01:51 AM

I use to have satellite (Directv) but now i don't i now watch local tv. The reason was after i got internet i was on the internet more than i was watching tv. It wasn't worth having something if i didn't watch it. But when i had satellite i only had the basic channels and sometimes i would subscribe to cinemax, HBO, showtime with The Movie Channel, Pl**B*y tv in the 2000's that channel was boring nothing but repeats. As for the basic channels i liked were VH1 Classic, TNT before wcw wrestling went out of business, msnbc, cnn, E! entertaiment television, Comedy Central that new logo is ugly by the way, cartoon network because they aired toonami when toonami went away i went away, Sci-Fi channel, Lifetime only because of unsolved mysteries. I use to pay $65 or more for Total Choice Xtra package, every year directv added $1 more dollar to my monthly bill i hated it.

luddite April 23rd, 2013 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwali (Post 1716004)
I´ve always believed he was from Atlanta..............has the headquarters there, he is the owner of the Atlanta teams........but is australian

You're thinking of Ted Turner.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Turner

SanteeFats August 10th, 2014 05:42 PM

Dish or Cable?

I am thinking about switching from cable to satellite. Any one have any input or advice?

Greenman August 10th, 2014 06:08 PM

One major problem you will get with Satellite is that every so often the signal will fail, probably in extreme weather conditions(depending on how high up it is placed and what angle) OR a build up of static around the box you have. Also you are linked to their network which if you get SKY will automatically update your box with any special features BUT if you don't use for a long period of time they ring you up to ask you if anything is wrong.

Cable is usually faster being underground and not likely to be affected by weather unless the ground subsides for some extreme reason-Fibre-optics are said to be faster especially for Internet use and you are more likely to get faster speeds too however some companies lie about the actual speed because it depends on the area you live in.

LadyLuck August 10th, 2014 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanteeFats (Post 2993295)
I am thinking about switching from cable to satellite. Any one have any input or advice?

Why are you contemplating a switch? What are you unhappy with about your cable service? Having had both and being a current cable customer I would never ever go back to dish unless it were my only option and I'd likely never put myself in a position where it would be my only option.

BinLadenSucks August 10th, 2014 07:29 PM

When I looked to see where Santee, Ca was, It looked as though you could be living in the hills? Do you have good sky view? Many trees? Your latitude is great for satillie reception.

Up here in the Northwest, we need a more southerly angle. We have hills and many trees, plus a little more severe weather. Most people here who get it, don't stay with it, unless they are isolated from cable.

SanteeFats August 10th, 2014 10:21 PM

I probably should have mentioned I live in San Diego County about 18 miles from the coast, not in the mountains. So weather is almost always not a problem.

Lord Of The Sith August 10th, 2014 11:26 PM

I have cable am very happy with it. I get excellent upload and download speeds and have no issues running my computer, laptop and Xbox all at the same time on my network. Around 1900 I get some streaming lag, but I am guessing everyone in my city is using the cable at that point and there is some throttling going on. It generally clears up by 2000. The price is more than I want to pay but is far less than DSL or satellite with superior speeds.

9876543210 August 11th, 2014 12:32 AM

SanteeFats,

I really hate monopolies but I have to say that as far as your internet is concerned, stick with cable. There really is nothing that comes close to UL and DL speeds like cable has.

Dial-up nowadays is a joke unless thats all you can get. Its been a long time since I've checked, but it used to be that satellite internet required a phone land line for upload (your click). So, in addition to the cost of satellite internet, your also had to have a telephone land line. Make sure you find out if that is still true. My guess is that it is still true. How else are your upload functions going to be transferred?

If the satellite companies still require a land line then I'd seriously consider staying with cable for internet. TV? Do whatever you want. I got tired of the cost and crap on cable so I went old school.... over the air.