Vintage Erotica Forums

Vintage Erotica Forums (http://vintage-erotica-forum.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion & News (http://vintage-erotica-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The Cricket Thread. (http://vintage-erotica-forum.com/showthread.php?t=135229)

Peau Peep November 5th, 2010 03:27 PM

The Cricket Thread.

Anybody here like cricket?

With the Ashes starting soon, I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread on it.

The Aussies don't seem to be playing too well lately, having lost the last 5 or 6 matches.

England have started well Down Under with Broad already taking wickets.

All in all, it should be a pretty close contest.

Hope the Barmy Army enjoy themselves! :thumbsup:

Greenman November 5th, 2010 04:44 PM

I watch the Ashes intensely when its on here but abroad the time difference is such that I don't get to see it live, have to rely on highlights but this time I can't see them on the BBC or Channel 5. I think we underestimate the Aussies at our peril, we know they are dangerous and to write them off would be the wrong thing to do-however an Aussie journalist reported England are in an excellent mood and confident, whereas the Aussies are in disarray losing a 7th straight series-albeit one day-but that is not an Ashes Test so lets hope that England can beat the Australians on their home soil for the first time in years and continue to build on what has been an excellent Summer.

jokerman November 5th, 2010 05:13 PM

One thing that will be certain is, that even though the Aussies haven't been playing well lately & they've certainly had problems. This is one series that they'll turn up for.
I remember once reading an interview given by Allan Border about when he first became the Australian captain. He was told that he could do whatever he liked but don't lose to England.
I think it will be an interesting series, & probably a lot closer than most people think it will be.
C'mon England.

knobby109 November 5th, 2010 05:49 PM

It will be a hard contest but then that's what the Ashes is all about.But never write off the Aussies as they have a habit of fighting to the last round.They will surely miss some key players (I remember back in 2005 that as long as Shane Warne was involved nothing was certain) but new talent does develop.

victor meldrew November 5th, 2010 06:12 PM

Always the optomist, its about time we won a test series in Austrailia. By the time the ashes commence, Australia should be at rock bottom. If we get it right, we can send the Aussies even further down the rankings.

The worrying thing for me is, people have been writing off the Aussies since I first started watching cricket in 1959.

The other worry, nothing worse than a wounded Aussie team in its own back yard.

England beware.

jokerman November 5th, 2010 06:26 PM

Shane Warne

Quote:

Originally Posted by knobby109 (Post 1330908)
It will be a hard contest but then that's what the Ashes is all about.But never write off the Aussies as they have a habit of fighting to the last round.They will surely miss some key players (I remember back in 2005 that as long as Shane Warne was involved nothing was certain) but new talent does develop.

I remember being at Edgbaston In 2005 when he was batting in the second innings & nearly won them the match.
I can honestly say that it was the greatest test match that I've ever seen, as well as the greatest ever test series.:D

scoundrel November 5th, 2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jokerman (Post 1330961)
I remember being at Edgbaston In 2005 when he was batting in the second innings & nearly won them the match.
I can honestly say that it was the greatest test match that I've ever seen, as well as the greatest ever test series.:D

I will not forget that match in a hurry. Warne set the tone, but the cast iron resolve of Brett Lee and Michael Kasprowicz was very memorable. I could not watch it, so I switched channels, only to find I couldn't not watch it, so I switched back again, switched away again etc etc. It didn't help that I had a broken rib at the time either, the mere tension was hurting me...

There are better sides than England and Australia in cricket right this minute but there isn't a cricket series with more emotional capital invested than this one. Four years ago, Australia wiped the slate 5-0. When we were 3-0 down, I got drunk with friends from work, having just shut up shop for Christmas, and when the last 2 of us were still absorbing alcohol via intravenous drip and in the maudlin stage, we discussed, in very pessimistic terms, the chances of averting the full series wipeout.

I knew it would happen, but I didn't think it would happen right then; but the bloke and girlfriend on the next table turned out to be Aussies.:( They couldn't resist, and joined our conversation, not at all in an unfriendly spirit, commenting in particular on the technical faults which had emerged in Steve Harmison's bowling action (they had actually been present at Brisbane a month earlier and had seen). I had to say, and this was not the drink talking, that much as I respect Australia, I would die to rob them of the 5-0 triumph. The bloke simply nodded and replied that this is what he would expect of any self-respecting Pomme, and it's the whole reason why Australians want to win the Ashes; they take them over the dead bodies of any England team which deserves to call itself England. The same goes for Australia; Ricky Ponting won a superb victory as the 2006-7 captain, but he has tasted defeat twice and I don't doubt for a second that he will lead a most bitter and implacable assault on England to get that little urn back.

This should be fine sport, win or lose.

jokerman November 6th, 2010 12:51 AM

Scoundrel, mate. I can assure you it was even more nerve wracking being in the ground that day. Nobody knew what was going to happen from one delivery to the next. The atmosphere was quite literally electifying. Until that final delivery by Freddie the match could've gone either way.
It was absolutely fantastic. I'm glad I was there to see it. Because I don't think that I'll ever see anything like it again.
I'd like also to thank the australian fans who were there that day for the terrific support that they gave to Australia that day. They helped to make it amost memorable test.
Thanks Cobbers.

Was anyone else who are members of the VEF there that day?

Welderman November 6th, 2010 06:13 PM

http://img203.imagevenue.com/loc249/..._123_249lo.jpg

Ian Bell & Jonathan Trott..

While this pair of Warwickshire lads are playing, contest over..

scoundrel November 7th, 2010 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welderman (Post 1332420)
http://img203.imagevenue.com/loc249/..._123_249lo.jpg

Ian Bell & Jonathon Trott..

While this pair of Warwickshire lads are playing, contest over..

Jonathan Trott is a fine player but still relatively raw. I wouldn't expect him to carry all the weight; others must do their fair share. Ian Bell is a gifted technical player. His driving off both front and back foot, a traditional English strength, is at times exquisite. But he is a choker, I have seen him crumple like wet cardboard in pressure situations too often. I have no faith in him.

Sorry, welderman.:(